New Oil Pan gasket leaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oil pan is thick aluminum and not stamped steel like the trans pan so I doubt it was damaged unless it got cracked which would be hard to do. It’s a structural part of the engine/trans assembly so it’s strong.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil pan is cast aluminum and doesn't bend, it cracks. I had an 02 Surburban with a cracked pan at the corner where the oil filter is. Previous owner over torqued it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@donjetman My first attempted tightening the oil pan down I found that I had the timing cover hanging down and the oil pan wasn't sitting flush to the bottom of the motor, I found that when I was trying to tighten it down. I was able to correct the timing cover and get everything lined up and had no additional drama when tightening the oil pan but we will see. I am going to order a proper in pounds wrench and give it another go, and get a new drain plug to stop that leak.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Rocket Man Sorry I do not have an update yet. Tahoe still drives great, took it up to Mount Shasta over the weekend.

After spending a month over the Summer repairing a lifter failure in my driveway I am not looking forward to wrenching on it again so I am procrastinating a bit. Oil level looks great, I think after the AFM delete my oil consumption is much less than it was before even with this oil leak. I am about 3k into this oil change and oil looks full still.

My oil cap neck was coming loose before the afm repair and I think that was causing my motor to be sucking in dirt from the oil cap area and I put in the new valve cover design so after the rebuild the PCV system is in much better condition and probably sucking in less oil than before.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Rocket Man Sorry I do not have an update yet. Tahoe still drives great, took it up to Mount Shasta over the weekend.

After spending a month over the Summer repairing a lifter failure in my driveway I am not looking forward to wrenching on it again so I am procrastinating a bit. Oil level looks great, I think after the AFM delete my oil consumption is much less than it was before even with this oil leak. I am about 3k into this oil change and oil looks full still.

My oil cap neck was coming loose before the afm repair and I think that was causing my motor to be sucking in dirt from the oil cap area and I put in the new valve cover design so after the rebuild the PCV system is in much better condition and probably sucking in less oil than before.
I get it. It only takes a few minutes to torque those bolts especially if you have a set of ramps, though. At least check to see if they’re loose.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get it. It only takes a few minutes to torque those bolts especially if you have a set of ramps, though. At least check to see if they’re loose.
@Rocket Man Do you think I should go over it with my foot pound torque wrench set to the lowest setting or should I get a proper inch pound torque wrench?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Rocket Man Do you think I should go over it with my foot pound torque wrench set to the lowest setting or should I get a proper inch pound torque wrench?
Harbor Freight sells an inch pound one for cheap. I don’t know of any foot pound ones that are accurate at 8-9 ft lbs.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes with low foot pounds you can convert to inch pounds I have done that with motorcycle fasteners. https://www.theunitconverter.com/foot-pound-to-inch-pound-conversion/8-foot-pound-to-inch-pound.html
Yeah 12 inch lbs=1 ft lb so it’s not hard. The specs on my oil pan are 108 in lbs, pretty sure his are around there. But he only had a torque wrench that went down to about 12-15 and he used that, set on its lowest setting so like I stated in my earlier post, that’s 144-180 in lbs or are we missing something?