New member to forum -- searching for my 07-14 Tahoe/Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an ‘07 Yukon that I bought new. The leather looks close to new (Dove Grey, I think the factory called it Titanium, not sure though), the dash has no cracks, washed it today and it looks really fabulous.

Having said that, the earlier models (other than the Denali’s) are not as desirable mechanically, as they came with a number of parts that were upgraded in later years that can have a pretty big effect on the cost of repairs.

I have come to the conclusion that the most desirable yers in this series is the ‘12 and ‘13 (probably outside your budget unless you got really lucky).

If you find a nice ‘07-‘09, a really detailed maintenance history needs to be a priority. The AFM system in these years was the weakest, so regular oil changes is an imperative. Another thing (somewhat related to AFM) in the non-Denali 5.3’s in this year range is to see if the AFM oil consumption TSB has been accomplished. Specically, knowing the Bank 1 (driver’s side) valve cover was replaced with the upgraded unit (Goggle the AFM oil consumption TSB and you can read about it), pretty important.

The ‘07 was a transition year, so a few things are different on it than even like the ‘08’s. Things like how fuel pressure is regulated is different in the ‘07 than later models, with the ‘07 using the ‘05 and ‘06 design, etc.

Anyway, if you get closer and see something that catches your eye, post it up and we can tear it apart…. :)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, the 2009 Escaldes and Denalis will have the 6.2 L9H engine and it does NOT have AFM. It is also FlexFuel so have options for reducing your fuel costs if possible depending on your market. The 2007-2008 L92 6.2 engines were not FlexFuel.

You stated that you did not want a Suburban or Yukon XL. Folks love the extra room in back and the 2nd row and they do not command as high a premium as the short Tahoe does. Even the short Yukons are generally less expensive than the Tahoe.

Here's another tidbit, if you are willing to search, the Tahoe also came with the 6.2 L9H motor in 2009 only in the LTZ trim package. These could be either RWD or 4WD and will have leather interiors. Only about 650 or so were made and I can teach you how to search for them if interested. Alternatively, GMC made a handful of 2010 Yukon XLs with the L9H 6.2 engine as well.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it were me I would shoot for 2010, gm is ticking up production and just put some plants on overtime which could mean used prices could go down soon (maybe)
not sure how far you are looking but anything on the west coast and Texas should be good but check the history to make sure it's not a transplant. there are "occasional" good deals out there but you have to move fast if something pops up that meets your needs you may want to throw a deposit on it to hold it so you have time to go check it out.
some locations to check for vehicles is the LA area and the broader eastern basin, Sacramento/bay area, las vegas, Texas. Never really seems to be much in SD, if you are close to TJ check south of the border as well

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SUV are cheap in califonria the car market all ready crashed out if you have not notice gas prices are near 5$ a gallon

suburban will be less expensive then a tahoe by a considerable amount

OP
OP
vinbart

vinbart

Reaction score
This is about the worst time to be buying a car. People are paying $5-10K and more than they were going for just six months ago. $15K gets you something north of 150k miles in most markets. Nearly half of these cars were painted either black, carbon black or white or pearl white.

In 2009 the 6-speed transmission was introduced behind the 5.3 engines. This was also the first year for Bluetooth phone connectivity and the optional integrated trailer brake controller.

GMC SLEs will have cloth interior and the Chevrolet LT might have a cloth interior, most were leather.

Do you plan to do any towing? Why do you want a 4WD versus a RWD? Do you have a few thousand set aside for maintenance and repairs? Generally speaking, at this age and mileage, it's time to rebuild the front suspension, change all the fluids and a poorly maintained transmission usually expires around this time.

Oh, the Denalis and Escalades in this generation will be either RWD or AWD; not 4x4s. Their 6.2s are glorious engines!
Yeah, I've got money set aside for maintenance and am pretty handy with a wrench myself. I'm down from my regular fleet of 4 cars to 2, but I've always got extras for when I'm working on one.

I'm looking for 4WD so that I can do some light off-roading to get to camp sites that other people can't reach (I live in the LA area and you get sick of people after a while).

I've figured out how to determine from the interior pics if the Yukon or Tahoe is 4WD (the second rotating switch next to the headlight switch) but I can't figure out how to ID an All-wheel-drive Escalade versus the 2WD. Where is the button or what am I looking for in craigslist/ebay/facebash pics?

Thanks for the advice guys.

OP
OP
vinbart

vinbart

Reaction score
I was getting ichty to spend some money and was looking at this 2007 Yukon, but it has a bunch of owners and is from the era of the dreaded AFM. The seller is asking way above blue book, but in LA most of the cars are thrashed and being sold by sketchy dealers and kids who think they are dealers.

But some of the research I've been doing on the AFM issues and features makes me want to start seriously looking for the unicorn 09 Escalade or 09 Denali or 09 Tahoe with the 6.2 L9H. Somebody find me one of those on the West Coast. :) I promise that if I buy the car I will send you something cool in the mail.

Can someone tell me which digit in the Vin identify the 6.2 and the AWD? I can figure it out with a vin decoder (https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/1GYFK23249R260546/ THIS IS A 6.2 AWD -- but only because https://www.gmforum.com/vindecoder.php?vin=1GYFK23249R260546). But I can't find the digit by digit decoder.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vinbart

vinbart

Reaction score
Okay -- tell me why I shouldn't buy this 2009 Escalade 6.2 . Cali car the entire life, 4 owners per the carfax (but the last owner was BMW of Valencia had it for a few months before sending it to auction...I wish my friend who had Manheim dealer access was still alive, Mark would have given me the auction price). Now it is at a small used car dealer in Long Beach who wants $17,995 for it. It is the only 6.2 Escalade around that meets my "color" (not black, not white) requirements. Hate to buy from a used car lot...but...maybe it needs a test drive.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay -- tell me why I shouldn't buy this 2009 Escalade 6.2 . Cali car the entire life, 4 owners per the carfax (but the last owner was BMW of Valencia had it for a few months before sending it to auction...I wish my friend who had Manheim dealer access was still alive, Mark would have given me the auction price). Now it is at a small used car dealer in Long Beach who wants $17,995 for it. It is the only 6.2 Escalade around that meets my "color" (not black, not white) requirements. Hate to buy from a used car lot...but...maybe it needs a test drive.
A few years ago I bought a nicely kept older F150 from a used lot. In that case it was the note lot associated with the Fjord dealer down the street. The Manager looked at me funny when I said I was paying cash. Then understood when I explained kids first vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts