New guy with wiring questions!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tankueray

Reaction score
So I was messing around with the seats last night and I was able to peel my wiring harness off the O2 and the wiring harness off the 03 seats and put the O2 harness on the 03 and plug right into everything just fine the only thing I had you cut and splice was the seat heater plugs because it was different but I stripped the tape off of it and it ended up going back to a junction with the exact same colors on it is mine so I cut them slice them into my plug put the seat and everything works just fine on it so it is possible to use them with all the functions

When I was doing some research recently at gmpartsdirect.com, I found that the seat wiring harness part numbers were the same, some heaters and airbag sensors were different, but quite a few other part numbers were the same. I don't know how or what module controls it all, but I'm trying to figure that out to maybe just swap out (or delete if only '03?) that "thing".

2002 12478636 SEAT Harness Right Bucket seat, passenger side, 2000-02.
2003 12478636 SEAT Harness Harness, RIGHT BUCKET SEAT, PASSENGER SIDE
2002 12473355 SEAT Harness Left Bucket seat, driver side, 2000-02.
2003 12473355 SEAT Harness Harness, LEFT BUCKET SEAT, DRIVER SIDE

Sorry, I can't upload the excel file, but here's a PDF of what I've found so far (seats, audio, and keyless entry info) for my '02 Z71 Tahoe vs. an '03 Tahoe (LS I think).

Attachments

• GM Part Numbers.pdf
    191.7 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
Ryan Buck

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
‘00 nbs, ‘01-‘02.... things are set up a little diff than the ‘03-‘06 models. I would think power wdos and locks cant be all that different but ya never know with GM. Look at colors, schematics and get a test probe out..
Just wanted to come back and tell you that you are correct and anything can be done with a power probe and patients. So the people that say nope no no way uh uh . Are full of shit! ✌✌

OP
OP
Ryan Buck

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was doing some research recently at gmpartsdirect.com, I found that the seat wiring harness part numbers were the same, some heaters and airbag sensors were different, but quite a few other part numbers were the same. I don't know how or what module controls it all, but I'm trying to figure that out to maybe just swap out (or delete if only '03?) that "thing".

2002 12478636 SEAT Harness Right Bucket seat, passenger side, 2000-02.
2003 12478636 SEAT Harness Harness, RIGHT BUCKET SEAT, PASSENGER SIDE
2002 12473355 SEAT Harness Left Bucket seat, driver side, 2000-02.
2003 12473355 SEAT Harness Harness, LEFT BUCKET SEAT, DRIVER SIDE

Sorry, I can't upload the excel file, but here's a PDF of what I've found so far (seats, audio, and keyless entry info) for my '02 Z71 Tahoe vs. an '03 Tahoe (LS I think).
You are right they are the same or really close. All I did to make the newer seats work was uncover the wiring harness so I could see the wires and after you go back into the harness a little bit you will see that the wires change colors back to the exact same colors on the older Tahoe. The only difference is there's more wires for the seat heater because it does more functions she just tie them all together. There's a few other little things too but with the Power Probe you can figure it all out it's totally doable 100%

OP
OP
Ryan Buck

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. No, no-way, no-how. Ain't gonna happen.
Trust me, I tried. Lol
The problem is not just that it's a different switch, but it's a COMPLETE different wiring architecture from 02-03. The 02 and older trucks actually use regular old switches that actually open and close a circuit. When you press the window switch, the switch actually e the circuit and current flows through the switch to the window motor. But in 03, they changed the entire vehicle to a Databus wire system. So instead of each switch being an actual "switch", it's now different computer modules that talk to each other over the Databus. They did this mostly to make testing and diagnosing things easier at the factory and at dealerships. But all this testing needs to be done on a Tech-2, and even 15 years later, most DIYers still don't have access to a Tech-2.
With a Tech-2 and the right software, you can roll each window up or down, buzz each door speaker one at a time, turn the wipers on or off, lock and unlock the doors, and MANY other things on the electrical system.
So in a nutshell, the ONLY way to make 04 window switches work on a 2002 is to transplant the ENTIRE 04 electrical harness and ALL the 04 computers (and there are MANY) into your 02 Tahoe. And I'm sure that you realize it's not worth it. I have heard of it being done before on salvage rebuilds, where a guy took a badly wrecked 03-06 and transplanted EVERYTHING to a solid but badly flooded 00-02 truck.
But on a side note, I have discovered that you CAN make the rear door switches work. There's a catch though. The rear switches are the same exact shape as the 00-02 window switches, so you can pop them apart and use the bottom half (actual electrical switch part) of the 02 switch and pop the top half of the 04 switch on to it. Then you can at least use the rear door panels and switches. As far as the front, my suggestion would be to use your 02 switches and switch bezels on the 04 door panels.
So just wanted to let you know that I was able to make everything work on my tahoe. It just took more time then I wanted to but right away I noticed to harness on the seats for the motors was exactly the same. If you peel the black tape off the newer harness and follow the wires back they change colors somewhere along the way and go back to the older trucks harness colors. It just has a few more functions like more options with the heater and lumbar but you just tie them together so they work off your switch. Granite you're not going to get those separate options for your seat heater this way but it still turns on and off you just don't have three settings for the back and 3 for the bottom you have a high and low. But it can be done. I have notice most of the hard parts are the same once you get down to the base and uncover everything. The Improvement that I did that really changed my mind was I installed the whole back hatch and window off of 06 I thought I was going to have to pull my whole harness out of mine and swap it into the new hatch but that was not the case all I did was plug it in. They take the exact same plug in the exact same wiring. The only thing I have not messed with is the power window switches because I put mine in it so there was no need. I found a guy here in Arizona that has a 2003 and he put the full interior out of a 2008 into it in every bit of the electrics works on it from the gauge cluster to the window switches to the seats he did the whole nine yards Dash door panel seats everything is badass it's for sale right now on Facebook for only 3 Grand but minus motor and tranny I wish I had the extra money I'd swoop it up it has a set of 28 inch rims I believe on it that are probably worth 3 Grand a loan. But everything's possible is the whole point

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
So just wanted to let you know that I was able to make everything work on my tahoe. It just took more time then I wanted to but right away I noticed to harness on the seats for the motors was exactly the same. If you peel the black tape off the newer harness and follow the wires back they change colors somewhere along the way and go back to the older trucks harness colors. It just has a few more functions like more options with the heater and lumbar but you just tie them together so they work off your switch. Granite you're not going to get those separate options for your seat heater this way but it still turns on and off you just don't have three settings for the back and 3 for the bottom you have a high and low. But it can be done. I have notice most of the hard parts are the same once you get down to the base and uncover everything. The Improvement that I did that really changed my mind was I installed the whole back hatch and window off of 06 I thought I was going to have to pull my whole harness out of mine and swap it into the new hatch but that was not the case all I did was plug it in. They take the exact same plug in the exact same wiring. The only thing I have not messed with is the power window switches because I put mine in it so there was no need. I found a guy here in Arizona that has a 2003 and he put the full interior out of a 2008 into it in every bit of the electrics works on it from the gauge cluster to the window switches to the seats he did the whole nine yards Dash door panel seats everything is badass it's for sale right now on Facebook for only 3 Grand but minus motor and tranny I wish I had the extra money I'd swoop it up it has a set of 28 inch rims I believe on it that are probably worth 3 Grand a loan. But everything's possible is the whole point
Have a link to that? Just curious about how it looks.

OP
OP
Ryan Buck

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a link to that? Just curious about how it looks.
One of my friends was telling me that the inside shells are pretty close to the same they're just reskinned with the different look but I think he's full of shit LOL one of those things again where people are saying stuff they don't know 100% And next thing you know it spread all over the place that all powers of the same just Skins are different on the outside of the body LOL so I never mention anything less I know 100% I've seen it with my own eyes that it's for real

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearfacemoon2212