New front struts question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am looking at replacing the front struts at 112,000 miles. I can feel a little rebound going over a bump. I noticed the same thing on my Pathfinder and after replacing the strut (with KYB) and bearing (with MOOG), keeping the OEM springs, the rebound was gone and had a like new feeling. I already replaced the Suburban rear with OEM.

Here are my RPO codes.
1649432693857.png
The key is 6D6 7D5 and Z55 I think.

I was going to buy strut part 19420492 and bearing 25940743 from Rock Auto for a total of $742 keeping my old springs. I had to replace struts on daughter's car twice due to bad bearings so don’t want to put another 100,000 on the old ones in the Suburban.

Strut (found in the Shock section on Rock Auto)
1649432765704.png
Bearing
1649432731006.png
BUT, wondering if the KYB SR4079 with new strut, springs, bearing, boot, hardware for a total of $363.40 would be a reasonable choice?
1649432857908.png
I did a search here for SR4079 and only had a couple of hits, no reviews, even though those have been out for quite a while.
What do you think? I have both in my cart in both stores at the moment!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at replacing the front struts at 112,000 miles. I can feel a little rebound going over a bump. I noticed the same thing on my Pathfinder and after replacing the strut (with KYB) and bearing (with MOOG), keeping the OEM springs, the rebound was gone and had a like new feeling. I already replaced the Suburban rear with OEM.

Here are my RPO codes.
View attachment 367498
The key is 6D6 7D5 and Z55 I think.

I was going to buy strut part 19420492 and bearing 25940743 from Rock Auto for a total of $742 keeping my old springs. I had to replace struts on daughter's car twice due to bad bearings so don’t want to put another 100,000 on the old ones in the Suburban.

Strut (found in the Shock section on Rock Auto)
View attachment 367500
Bearing
View attachment 367499
BUT, wondering if the KYB SR4079 with new strut, springs, bearing, boot, hardware for a total of $363.40 would be a reasonable choice?
View attachment 367502
I did a search here for SR4079 and only had a couple of hits, no reviews, even though those have been out for quite a while.
What do you think? I have both in my cart in both stores at the moment!

The reviews on Amazon seem to be really good. But a common complaint I see is that they're stiff. I just looked into them to make sure they weren't the Excel-G line from KYB. Those are junk!

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have Auto Ride, are you wanting to delete that? Unless the shocks are leaking or locked up, there is really no need to change them. Auto and Mag ride shocks don't really wear out like passive shocks do. Change the springs with new OEM springs (if still available) and that will improve the ride quality significantly.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd replace the entire strut assembly (including the top bearing), and the spring with OEM struts and Moog springs (since the OEM springs are no longer available).

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Chevy likely has different springs than a Denali, they might still be available.

OP
OP
justchecking

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well I was/am confused. I didn't see a connector on the recommended strut on GM parts giant (or Rock Auto). I do want to stay OEM, so doesn't look like the KYB will work for me. I'll have to pick this back up after Turkey season. Thanks for the replies!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I was/am confused. I didn't see a connector on the recommended strut on GM parts giant (or Rock Auto). I do want to stay OEM, so doesn't look like the KYB will work for me. I'll have to pick this back up after Turkey season. Thanks for the replies!
Just to be clear, the connector is on the end of the stem at the top of the strut so it may not be noticeable in pictures.

17F1EF98-AE0A-4E1D-81EB-65E10570BA84.jpeg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you just need 2 of these, they are $267 each, they were a little cheaper 4 years ago I paid $497 for 2
they are the correct strut, you don't need anything else unless the caps or springs are jacked up

Last edited:
OP
OP
justchecking

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
you just need 2 of these, they $267 each, they were a little cheaper 4 years ago I paid $497 for 2
they are the correct strut, you don't need anything else unless the caps or springs are jacked up
Just to be clear, the connector is on the end of the stem at the top of the strut so it may not be noticeable in pictures.
Wjburken and Doubeleive YES I see what you mean, thanks for the input, I'll pick it up again after Turkey season. Thanks for the input!

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would really urge you to verify any part numbers with a dealer based on your VIN before you order anything. There are tons of spring and shock part numbers based on the various suspension RPO codes. I have no idea what the process was at the factory to determine what gets what but some of these trucks have two different part numbers for the front springs left and right and there are also some different shock part numbers based on wheel size. The 2008 and 2012 had the same part number shocks and springs but the 2013 has different shock part numbers and front springs. I would also bet money your springs have sagged/weakened. I replaced the front springs on my 2008 after I lowered it (it was lower than it was supposed to be) and new GM springs raised the front 3/4" and when I did our old 2012 Denali new springs raised the front 1." Hopefully the Chevy does have different springs because I bought that last two of those in the country. The Moog springs cover a bunch of the RPO codes so I don't know if I trust them but if they're the only option, it would probably be better than not changing them at all.