New alternator whining

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Electrician

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brand new alternator I ordered online Amazon Prime is whining right out of the box. It's not real loud but I hear it. I've heard some bad ones before that sounded like you were trying to tune in a radio station next to a megaphone. Now, the voltage is staying steady 14.5volts tho. So, my question is: should I return it or let it ride?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would drive me nuts. I'd return it as well. The only time I want to hear an alternator whine is when I have the hood open and do a load test.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Return it! Is it (supposedly) an AC Delco..?

Something so easy to swap, I’d return without question.

By the way, I had a genuine Delco from Summit shxt the bed after only about 5 months. :okay2:
No worries though, they warrantied it. Took a while to get another one, but it’s now in my garage as a backup, once my cheap-a$$ Advance Auto one bites the dust. I was planning to swap them around, and might sometime I’m not busy, but not worried about the one that I’ve installed now.

OP
OP
Electrician

Electrician

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not AC Delco. But I'm most likely gonna return it and get an AC Delco. This is an Amazon no name alternator. Now... it says it's an "aftermarket upgrade" and "rated for 255 amps". Anyone wanna chime in on how legit they think that 255amp claim is? Cuz I think I smell... bs
Anyway, being that it's such a high output (cough cough) model, it still shouldn't whine right?

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Due to my setup and audio system I replaced mine with a high output Mechman alternator that I bought directly from their site. A little more money but the quality and performance are outstanding. Been installed for nearly 100k miles and still running well.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. Return it.
There could be some poor machining on the armature or possible a bearing is bad right out of the gate. Either way, it will probably not survive as long as you would expect.

If I needed an alternator in a hurry, I would probably just order online to get 15-20% discounts and pick it up at the local NAPA store.
If not in a hurry, I would likely go to RockAuto and get a AC-Delco.
With these options, at least you know what you are getting.

With all I hear about different issues with parts from Amazon, I am not keen on going to them for parts right now.
For insignificant items or really cheap accessories, maybe. But serious parts, no...

I have had good luck through Ebay from legit suppliers known on the parts community (ones that are well known and have a solid online store presence, with high ratings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons

Latest posts