New (again) member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from VA Beach. The NBS have always been my favorite body style. Like it was said in an earlier post, you can’t go wrong with the 6.0. How does the interior look?

OP
OP
J

JMEngland88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rusty brake lines are typical in salty states. Happened to mine too. Idiot cut me off and I was going over 60! Still don't know how I didn't hit him. Nailed the brakes and it blew the rear line. Fluid everywhere!

Yea luckily I didn't get put in a position like that, I would probably be feeling completely different about the whole thing. I had already noticed that their were issues with the brakes so I was making sure to creep slowly with plenty of standoff. Made it home in one piece and now it's up on ramps just waiting for those new lines to go in. I still have my Flex for the time being, luckily.

OP
OP
J

JMEngland88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome from VA Beach. The NBS have always been my favorite body style. Like it was said in an earlier post, you can’t go wrong with the 6.0. How does the interior look?

The interior is actually really good, all things considered. The drivers seat has a nickel sized hole and there's a decent tear in the driver side captains chair, but outside of that everything's good with the leather. Carpet is stained quite a bit, so I'm going to shampoo it soon. Some of the plastic on the center console has flaked at the edges also, so I'm gonna keep a lookout at the junkyard for good ones, if they exist. I know a lot of times with old vehicles, if one has problems like that, they all do.

For the age, especially compared to almost all the NBSs I saw under 5k, I can't complain at all. I'd say the condition is *almost* on par with my 2011 Flex, and that thing is near mint. I think the big thing helping it out is that it's the dark grey interior so it really hides its age well.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yea luckily I didn't get put in a position like that, I would probably be feeling completely different about the whole thing. I had already noticed that their were issues with the brakes so I was making sure to creep slowly with plenty of standoff. Made it home in one piece and now it's up on ramps just waiting for those new lines to go in. I still have my Flex for the time being, luckily.
I hear doing the brake lines are a real pita, especially when it's time to bleed the ABS. Not trying to give you a horror story, just giving you a heads up.

OP
OP
J

JMEngland88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hear doing the brake lines are a real pita, especially when it's time to bleed the ABS. Not trying to give you a horror story, just giving you a heads up.

I don't doubt it will be. I have one of the pneumatic brake bleeders though, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

I pulled the throttle body and got that all cleaned out, so just waiting on the gasket to get here and that'll be put back together tomorrow. cleaned under the front end real good and I'm gonna be spraying it all down with rust converter and painting it. after getting everything cleaned there I'm realizing that the rust really wasn't as bad as first thought. I think just the fact that the rockers completely rusted through made me jump to the conclusion that the rust was that aggressive everywhere, but it's turning out not to be the case. It seems most stuff has a light coating of surface rust at most, which just a wire brush is making quick work of. So far I haven't even had to break out the drill attachment cause it's all been so minor. I'm currently in the middle of trying to change the transmission fluid and filter, but didn't realize the pan gets stuck by the shifter linkage bracket, so tomorrow I'm going to have to get that bracket pulled off or bent out of the way so I can get the pan completely off to clean it out real well. such a pita design...

I'm taking pics of everything as I go, so once I get through this first initial wave I'll start up a build thread. Over the course of this next few months the truck should be getting some decent work done to it. In the recent years I've shied away from doing any custom work on my vehicles due to having other financial priorities, but me and the fam are settled into our new house now and I think it's time to build something nice. I missed wrenching

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Oregon. I just bend that shift linkage bracket out of the way to pull the pan. The bolts are big Torx and are on top of the trans where it’s really hard to get to. Just remember to bend it back when you’re done. You’ll have to lower the front diff too but all you have to do is remove the 4 bolts holding it up to the frame and let it drop down, then pry a tiny bit down as you slide the pan out. I would change all the fluids in the vehicle- front and rear difs, trans, engine oil, engine coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, transfer case fluid. I think that’s all of them.

OP
OP
J

JMEngland88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome from Oregon. I just bend that shift linkage bracket out of the way to pull the pan. The bolts are big Torx and are on top of the trans where it’s really hard to get to. Just remember to bend it back when you’re done. You’ll have to lower the front diff too but all you have to do is remove the 4 bolts holding it up to the frame and let it drop down, then pry a tiny bit down as you slide the pan out. I would change all the fluids in the vehicle- front and rear difs, trans, engine oil, engine coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, transfer case fluid. I think that’s all of them.

Yea I changed the oil already and I'm waiting for a new pan to come in (mine didn't have a drain plug) to finish up the trans fluid. brake fluid will all be flushed out when I do the lines. diff fluid is sitting in the garage waiting for what I have going on to be patched up. going to have to get the coolant, tc fluid, and power steering fluid and do them next.

yea this first run through I'm just doing every possible maintenance item I can, then I'll move onto the more custom stuff. I just wanna make sure I start with a clean, rust/leak free slate...

as for the pan, it seemed like the problem I might have outside of the shift linkage is the exhaust. even with the bracket out of the way, the exhaust might prevent it from coming down low enough to slide off. we had a rainstorm here today so I wasn't able to do any work on it, but it's supposed to clear up by the weekend so hopefully I can get at it then. All my shipments will have arrived by that point for sure.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I changed the oil already and I'm waiting for a new pan to come in (mine didn't have a drain plug) to finish up the trans fluid. brake fluid will all be flushed out when I do the lines. diff fluid is sitting in the garage waiting for what I have going on to be patched up. going to have to get the coolant, tc fluid, and power steering fluid and do them next.

yea this first run through I'm just doing every possible maintenance item I can, then I'll move onto the more custom stuff. I just wanna make sure I start with a clean, rust/leak free slate...

as for the pan, it seemed like the problem I might have outside of the shift linkage is the exhaust. even with the bracket out of the way, the exhaust might prevent it from coming down low enough to slide off. we had a rainstorm here today so I wasn't able to do any work on it, but it's supposed to clear up by the weekend so hopefully I can get at it then. All my shipments will have arrived by that point for sure.
You will have to remove the exhaust as well as drop the front diff like I said.

OP
OP
J

JMEngland88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You will have to remove the exhaust as well as drop the front diff like I said.

ugh.. awful.. just awful..

glad I went ahead and ordered that pan with the drain plug so I don't have to do this all again anytime soon...figure I'll change the fluid every couple thousand miles until I'm confident it's completely clean and then go to normal intervals after that..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz