New (again) member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMEngland88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey yall, I'm back..

So, I was previously here (same account) with a NBS Z71 a few years back, but it ended up losing all oil pressure and I sold it to a buddy. Well, after going through a few other vehicles (Excursion diesel, Mazda 3, and a Ford Flex) I decided my life was not complete without a NBS in it. I don't know what it is about them, but I loved them when I was younger when they were new, and now after all these years they're still one of my favorite vehicles out there. After owning my Z71 though, one thing I always remembered that it bugged me that I didn't have the refresh interior and was always dreaming of dropping a 6.0 in it. Well, fast forward a few years and starting today, I am the new owner of a 2004 Denali

Bad clear coat, leveling system shot, rockers rusted completely through, and 220k on the clock, but it was only 3500 (actually maybe a lot for it, idk), runs and shifts great, and it's mine ❤️

The next month is going to include a lot of changing of fluids and getting rust under control, but after that, it's on to the good stuff

Any recommendations on what I should check/replace right off the get go? I'm very mechanically inclined, so I can handle just about anything. I'll pretty much be going through the entire truck and replacing/servicing anything that needs it as I find it, but if there's anything critical or that it will for sure need and make a big difference, I would appreciate the input.

IMG_20200610_153534.jpg

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome back from Miami Beach Justin!

Nice 2004 Denali! if you need more info on what to do with your Denali check out the 2004 section.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome back to the Forum from NH.

Keep us updated on your plans, and let us know whenever we can provide assistance.

OP
OP
J

JMEngland88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks all!

So, I used the truck today and did a lot of running around. Realized after a while that if I sat in one spot too long, the truck would lose brake pressure and start lurking forward, eventually even turn on the brake light. Uh oh.. Checked under it and didn't see any fluid, so immediately the master cylinder became the culprit. No worries, old truck, not too expensive, always good to have new brake stuff anyway. Well, on my way to autozone (pulling into the parking lot actually), the brake light came on solid and the brakes got reaaaal bad. Check under the truck and turns out all that rust under there hit the brake lines hard. Front line running under the radiator is toast...

Whole new hard line kit will be here Sunday

In the meantime, swapped in some full synthetic and a pure one filter and it got a nice detail and wash, in and out. Tranny oil and gear lube for the differentials is in the garage waiting to go in. Gonna be a busy weekend.

Other than the brake issue, it did great today though. Engine and tranny are doing their thing like new, so that's a good sign. Honestly as I've been digging into things, it really seems like the truck was maintained extremely well outside of the rust. Also, turns out that the shot air ride is not shot air ride after all, it's been converted to rear shocks already, just doesn't have the resistors in. At least thats something down that I thought I'd have to do soon.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thanks all!

So, I used the truck today and did a lot of running around. Realized after a while that if I sat in one spot too long, the truck would lose brake pressure and start lurking forward, eventually even turn on the brake light. Uh oh.. Checked under it and didn't see any fluid, so immediately the master cylinder became the culprit. No worries, old truck, not too expensive, always good to have new brake stuff anyway. Well, on my way to autozone (pulling into the parking lot actually), the brake light came on solid and the brakes got reaaaal bad. Check under the truck and turns out all that rust under there hit the brake lines hard. Front line running under the radiator is toast...

Whole new hard line kit will be here Sunday

In the meantime, swapped in some full synthetic and a pure one filter and it got a nice detail and wash, in and out. Tranny oil and gear lube for the differentials is in the garage waiting to go in. Gonna be a busy weekend.

Other than the brake issue, it did great today though. Engine and tranny are doing their thing like new, so that's a good sign. Honestly as I've been digging into things, it really seems like the truck was maintained extremely well outside of the rust. Also, turns out that the shot air ride is not shot air ride after all, it's been converted to rear shocks already, just doesn't have the resistors in. At least thats something down that I thought I'd have to do soon.
Rusty brake lines are typical in salty states. Happened to mine too. Idiot cut me off and I was going over 60! Still don't know how I didn't hit him. Nailed the brakes and it blew the rear line. Fluid everywhere!