New 2018 Tahoe RST owner!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

EmeryZ28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So you spent all that money and didn't get a 6.2? I would have thought you'd know better after having one in your Silverado.

funny you should say that. I am not pleased with my 8 speed transmission, I know the Tahoe has the 10 speed but I am still skeptical as the 6 speed is more proven. Also with my Silverado the 6.2 tows my boat with ease, but during regular driving you would never know it has 420HP. I had to disable to AFM, put in a diablo tune and 20% throttle boost to finally make it somewhat feel like the monster motor it is. i also did the "paint stick" behind the pedal "fix" that I am sure you have hard of to help throttle response. I had a 5.3 6 speed as a loaner vehicle when my Z71 was in for work and I was very pleased with the acceleration and shifting. Dont get me wrong the 6.2 is amazing when you really get on the throttle and I enjoy towing my boat with ease, but for my wife to use as a DD, the 5.3 will be just fine in the Tahoe, as it has been for years. I do plan on the Airaid Jr intake, and a tune to remove the AFM.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you get comments for not getting the 6.2, imagine what it will be next gen when they have an alternative engine such as diesel, turbo gas v6 or hybrid.
To each their own.
my wife drives our suburban, I drive a Fiat 500 electric car for sole purpose of riding the HOV lane. its all about the purpose and intended use for me.

Rich16LTZ

Reaction score
funny you should say that. I am not pleased with my 8 speed transmission, I know the Tahoe has the 10 speed but I am still skeptical as the 6 speed is more proven. Also with my Silverado the 6.2 tows my boat with ease, but during regular driving you would never know it has 420HP. I had to disable to AFM, put in a diablo tune and 20% throttle boost to finally make it somewhat feel like the monster motor it is. i also did the "paint stick" behind the pedal "fix" that I am sure you have hard of to help throttle response. I had a 5.3 6 speed as a loaner vehicle when my Z71 was in for work and I was very pleased with the acceleration and shifting. Dont get me wrong the 6.2 is amazing when you really get on the throttle and I enjoy towing my boat with ease, but for my wife to use as a DD, the 5.3 will be just fine in the Tahoe, as it has been for years. I do plan on the Airaid Jr intake, and a tune to remove the AFM.

I traded my 15 Silverado LTZ 6.2, 8 speed for my Tahoe. Only because I don't really need a truckbed. I never had a single issue with the 8 speed. With exhaust and a Volant CAI on it and not even a tune, I could easily tell how much power I had available - especially after getting into my 5.3. I considered a Yukon Denali so I could get the 6.2 but couldn't get past the look of it. I love the Tahoe front end. If I were you, I'd reconsider the AirRaid Jr. Dyno results don't show very good gains with them. Look at Volant, AFE, AirRaid Full or S&B.....much much better improvements, especially with a tune.

OP
OP
E

EmeryZ28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I traded my 15 Silverado LTZ 6.2, 8 speed for my Tahoe. Only because I don't really need a truckbed. I never had a single issue with the 8 speed. With exhaust and a Volant CAI on it and not even a tune, I could easily tell how much power I had available - especially after getting into my 5.3. I considered a Yukon Denali so I could get the 6.2 but couldn't get past the look of it. I love the Tahoe front end. If I were you, I'd reconsider the AirRaid Jr. Dyno results don't show very good gains with them. Look at Volant, AFE, AirRaid Full or S&B.....much much better improvements, especially with a tune.

I thought blackbear shows great gains with it from their test of multiple intakes? I am also considering the Volant