Need to replace bulbs inside and out...recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lights that avoid tickets (like headlights, brakes, and turn signals) at least work...but I have a number of bulbs that are out (need to take full stock) both inside and out, including in the instrument cluster. I'd kinda like to upgrade the instrument cluster lights to led (I'm aware of the polarity challenge) and maybe a few of the other interior lights. I think I want to stick with standard bulbs outside, but for the inside, any tips or tricks? Or recommendations on where I can get a decent set of lights for the instrument cluster, if not all the interior lights?

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my cluster with some blue led's I found on ebay for about $12. Looks awesome and was pretty easy to do. I haven't changed anything else on the interior. As far as the outside goes, I just pet all new lights in. I went back with stock bulbs there too. i like them better. As far as a tip? Take your time.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my cluster with some blue led's I found on ebay for about $12. Looks awesome and was pretty easy to do. I haven't changed anything else on the interior. As far as the outside goes, I just pet all new lights in. I went back with stock bulbs there too. i like them better. As far as a tip? Take your time.
Do they need to be a particular "size"?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't done any cluster light changes, but I did change every other incandescent light bulb on the truck, inside and outside, to LEDs. Just determine the stock bulb number and find an LED equivalent.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for reference, since I haven't got around to doing this yet, I found a post on the GMT400 site that lists the bulb sizes. According to that post the sizes are below. Also, there is a slight difference in the 161 and 194 (194 are brighter) but some use them interchangeably.

Large black socket - 161 bulb (3)
Large gray socket - 194 bulb (3)
Large off-white socket - 194 bulb (2)
Small gray socket - 74 bulb (9)
IMG_20230130_121751.jpg

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additional dumb question for anyone who has done this...Is there a point of getting different colored LEDs for any of the indicator lights? Isn't there just a colored lens in front of those anyway? So if I put a green light behind service engine soon, it's still gonna pretty much be red isn't it?

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additional dumb question for anyone who has done this...Is there a point of getting different colored LEDs for any of the indicator lights? Isn't there just a colored lens in front of those anyway? So if I put a green light behind service engine soon, it's still gonna pretty much be red isn't it?
When I did mine I just changed the one for 194 size. All my indicaters are still the original and show the colors they should. I think you are right about the lens.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post back here. I got the instrument panel bulbs from this guy on ebay. They are NOT polarized so I didn't have to do any of that "turn it 180 degrees if it doesn't work" stuff. And he actually mixed the colors for me - this is what my daughter chose and I gotta admit, it does look pretty damned cool!

IMG_20230227_181205.jpg

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been wanting to blue bulb my Escalade cluster