Need stock rided height for 97 Tahoe 4wd 2dr

Discussion in 'Street Suspension' started by leigh, Jun 23, 2019.

Sponsored By: DJM Belltech
  1. leigh

leigh TYF Newbie

Name:
    lght1
    Hi

I am in the market for new shocks but need to compare my 97 Tahoe 4wd 2dr ride height against a known stock trucks.

I believe mine may have a small lift, 2" or so but need to know stock to be sure.

Thanks

2. east302

east302 Full Access Member

Name:
    east302
    Not sure if you still need it, but here is the measurement from the manual. Use the 5.9 to 6.4” for gas.

[​IMG]

On my 98 (2-door sport) the bottom of the front fender flares are about 36” above the ground. It’s leveled (torsion bar crank) though. Stock was probably an inch, maybe two, less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. leigh

leigh TYF Newbie

Name:
    lght1
    Hi

Thanks for the response.

I got lucky yesterday and came across a GMT 400 Tahoe 4dr and driver getting gas at the same island as I was.

After admiring each other's rides, I asked if had a tape measure handy and fortunately, he did.

His is a stock 99 Tahoe, also never seen salt, and very nice stock leather interior. His is a completely unmolested elderly-retired owned Tahoe and it is a beauty.

After measurements, I am about 1.5 to 1.75 higher at the fender like then his.

I need to know this as I am going to get shocks for this, likely Bilstein 4600s.

4. SUBURBIAN

SUBURBIAN All GM

Name:
    Larry
    You'll have your best bet at telling what you're working with by getting underneath the truck and looking around. Count the number of threads exposed under the torsion bar key keepers on the keeper bolts. Look between the rear axle and the leaf springs and see if there is a block in there or not. Check the stance...is it raked or level? Also check the CV half shaft angles.

A lift kit for the front of that rig for anyone who knows what they're doing is just adding more preload to the torsion bars, then adding a block to the rear to level it out so it doesn't squat.

4600's are OK, but 5100's are better. But it depends on what you're working with.