Need some help - 1997 Tahoe Heater / Blower Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first one (heater blend door) is behind the ashtray. Pull the glovebox and you can see it. The recirc actuator is behind and above the blower against the firewall.

They each have three wires - one being the variable voltage signal from the panel to position the door and the other two being battery voltage and ground. I don’t know if they include a limit switch (there is no feedback to the control panel) so any logic is probably pretty basic and contained within the actuator.

Knock on wood, but I’ve only had one fail on my trucks (the heater one and it was an aftermarket part that the previous owner had used). I don’t remember it clicking constantly - just initially and then it would stop since it thought that it had rotated long enough to get to the right position. Actual damper position was incorrect, of course.

By watching the dial indicator on the actuator, you’ll be able to see if it’s working. It should rotate smoothly. Any erratic movement would be a red flag though cracked gears will be pretty audible and hard to miss once you’re right next to it.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what's making the noise. I'm guessing from your description that it's the recirc actuator. Mounted to the left of the blower, sort of upside down. If I move the white door by hand, the noise reduces until the door goes back to closed (operates itself), then gets louder again. The noise stopped when I unplugged the connector (red arrow). This is with the climate control completely removed. When I plugged the climate control back in, the Recirc and AC lLEDs do not light up when I push the buttons. I can't remember if they did yesterday before I took it out or not.

I need to figure out how to remove it to test and inspect.

But why would it run constantly?

NoiseSource.jpg

Door.jpg

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One screw was already out. Got the second one out. Third one is hidden and I can't even see it to get a socket on it. I can just barely feel it with one finger.

Forgot the resistor was still unplugged. Plugged it back in and re-installed the blower motor.

LEDs on climate control buttons work again, but operation is wildly erratic, never the same thing twice when pushing a button or rotating a knob. Sometimes the blower runs, sometimes not, sometimes at different speeds.

I have one of the $50 control modules on order. Found a pack of 4 connector shells for $10 and ordered that. Should all be here next week. If it solves the door actuator issue, great, if not, I'm not sure it matters and I can just unplug the connector maybe.

I don't need to go anywhere, I don't need the blower if I do and I have another car, so it can all wait now. AC doesn't work anyways, but that's another thread.

Appreciate all the information.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s the recirculation actuator. The internal gears may be cracked and causing it to slip. Here’s a post where someone replaced it:

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I've been trying. I have the socket and small ratchet. Inverting your previous picture, I have screws 1 and 2 out. I can't get to 3 as it's between the actuator and what is probably the firewall. I might try with a 7/32 deepwell, but a standard and even a short extension won't squeeze in there.

I guess my question is, do I even need to? I don't drive enough that I can see ever needing recirc. Is there any reason I can't leave that disconnected? You said:

I don’t know if they include a limit switch (there is no feedback to the control panel) so any logic is probably pretty basic and contained within the actuator.

If it isn't going to cause any problems, I probably won't bother.

ActScrews.jpg

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The damper probably defaults to the fresh air position, so it wouldn’t hurt anything to just unplug it. That’s likely what I’d do if I couldn’t get that thing out otherwise.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. I'm just getting tired of chasing after piddly stuff. As long as I can get the blower working reliably in case I need heat and defrosters in winter, I probably won't fuss with this door.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have encountered one of the common piddly things about GM trucks of this era. I'd like to have $1 for every one that has been disconnected and never replaced, I've done a bunch. My own truck is one of them.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Connector shells look to arrive Monday. How do the pins come out? Pull the blue bar? Or pry each pin out like most Molex and Amphenol?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going by memory here, but you push the wire forward toward the end of the connector and then use a small screwdriver or pin to push in a tab to release the terminal. I think it was something like this:

IMG_5677.jpeg

Save the blue clips, the new ones didn’t come those when I ordered it.

Mine was pretty melted and brittle - some might come out by just snapping the connector apart.

IMG_2227.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts