Need new shocks... thinking of a 2/3 drop... advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would depend more on the springs than the shocks. I’ve towed a little with mine but not nearly maxing it out, just a trailer full of mulch or furniture. Mine still has Autoride so I can’t say how much it would squat with regular stuff.
Thanks for that.. jet ski small boat is all it would be.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had spindles on my 07 for 5 years with no issues. I’m changing my struts soon due to age not from a problem due to lowering 2”. @iamdub correct me if I’m wrong that the spindles keep everything in the factory position.
@Shunto As for towing you should be fine. If not you can add helper bags if you’d like.

Relatively. They keep the range of travel the same. But, the toe, caster and camber needs to be adjusted afterward. Nothing outside of the factory range of adjustment, though.

OP
OP
cfmistry

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You get what you pay for and suspension and tires are the absolute worst place to go cheap because it'll ruin the entire driving experience. The drop knuckles in the front keep the front suspension geometry completely stock (the drop is from the knuckle, not a shorter shock and/or spring) and the shock extenders in the rear will keep the rear shock at very close to the stock length. Use the McGaughys extenders as they drop the shocks down a good bit more than the Belltech ones which really just move the shock mount further back. I'm using this suspension setup with Mag Ride and it rides and drives exactly like stock plus I added the Eibach sway bars to help with handling. If I hadn't already replaced all four shocks before I lowered, I likely would have deleted the Mag Ride and gone with the 5100s.

I get what you're saying and agree with you 100%. I am a Michelin tire man - just put a new set on the Tahoe not long ago $$$$. But at the end of the day I pulled the trigger on the Belltech shocks/struts, they had good reviews so I am hopeful they will be quality products! Good info on the McGaughy's shock mounts, I might have to go for those...

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you’re in there you might do the other front suspension stuff like bushings, end links, ball joints etc. That way you only have to do one alignment.

OP
OP
cfmistry

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you’re in there you might do the other front suspension stuff like bushings, end links, ball joints etc. That way you only have to do one alignment.

Great advice, but everything else in there has already been done! All control arm bushings, ball joints, outer tie-rod ends, swaybar bushings, swaybar end-links.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505