Need help with prolonged cold start...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you by any chance have a strong fuel smell aside from the long crank?

I had a bad fuel smell but no leaks at all, even had it up on a lift looking for a leak with another mechanic. I finally stuck my cell phone above the tank to get pics and I saw the rusted pump lines and fuel. But wasn't leaking enough to run down the side of the tank. These tanks have a sump built in around the top of the tank in that area so it can't drain well. IMHO that is what helps these to rust out in the first place, take a look:

9E21B8EA-EBBF-4E64-BCDC-D4EC20F6A383.jpeg

dark_knight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a bad fuel smell but no leaks at all, even had it up on a lift looking for a leak with another mechanic. I finally stuck my cell phone above the tank to get pics and I saw the rusted pump lines and fuel. But wasn't leaking enough to run down the side of the tank. These tanks have a sump built in around the top of the tank in that area so it can't drain well. IMHO that is what helps these to rust out in the first place, take a look:

View attachment 377148
Thanks! I just started noticing a bad fuel smell on my car. No leaks and can't see above the tank to see the sending unit.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I just started noticing a bad fuel smell on my car. No leaks and can't see above the tank to see the sending unit.

Yeah it was really frustrating to find. You can't get your hands in there to feel. I jacked the rear of the truck up and climbed up over the axle with a shop light and took pics with the phone.

dark_knight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is a pic of mine. Not as bad as above but still leaking fuel.

Attachments

• IMG_4962.jpg
    IMG_4962.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 6

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of mine. Not as bad as above but still leaking fuel.

There ya go!!!! That's a flex fuel pump. Were you able to get the lines off? Mine were frozen and would not.

dark_knight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ha ha. I didn't do it. Too busy with working 16 hour days. The guy that did it told me he did have problems removing the lines though.

dark_knight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How do you know its a flex fuel? It is, just wondering. Got a Delphi replacement with a new gm ring.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you know its a flex fuel? It is, just wondering. Got a Delphi replacement with a new gm ring.

The flex fuel has 2 lines and the non-flex has one. I learned this trying to find the right pump for mine last winter.

dark_knight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ha ha. I knew my car was a flex based on the emblem on the back. Never did put e85 in it yet. It is a 2011.