Need help with my exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cat will cost no more than a resonator, have no more effect on back pressure and do a better job taking the drone out. Modern cats are cheap and have very little impedance to flow. There really isn't any reason not to run one...

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, I take back my comment on "no reason not to run a cat". If your engine isn't set up for emissions controls, there's a pretty good chance you'll damage the cat rendering it useless or worse. Emissions could actually go up, power & fuel economy down.

There is one concern with not running cats that hasn't been mentioned. Once some cities & towns figure out they can legally confiscate vehicles that should have them and don't, well how greedy are most politicians? I know for a fact Portland, OR loves to confiscate vehicles in a number of circumstances for the revenue when they inevitably sell them later. I'm not saying confiscation for lack of a cat is happening or will happen. Hopefully it won't. But removing a cat is in fact a crime and renders the vehicle in question up for confiscation. The cops will need reasonable suspicion to check the vehicle, but a loud exhaust should prove enough grounds for inspection. Also, it's possible they don't need grounds? Is looking under your vehicle a "search"? They don't need grounds to inspect the exterior of your vehicle... My guess is that if they decide to do it they'll worry about the court ruling later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas