Upgraded exhaust help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently wrapped up quite a few mods to my 2013 Escalade and need some advice on how to tame the exhaust volume down a few notches. I absolutely love the sound of the new exhaust but it just a little to loud, on a 1-10 scale it’s at like a 9 and I’d like to to be around a 5/6ish. The exhaust components listed below is the order of installation, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Mod list: AFM delete with a TSP L92 VVT stage 1 cam, CAI, cat delete, 1 7/8 headers with Y pipe —-> 12” vibrant performance 3.5” resonator —-> Borla XR1 40946 —-> 3.5” to dual 2.5” axle back dual exhaust with quad tips.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the 40946 3.5 to 3.5 single out It's not that loud to me, you could try maybe a 2chamber flowmaster those are a little tamer.
most of your noise is going to come from the muffler, if you have a cai maybe try a airaid mit with the stock airbox that might help some.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 40946 3.5 to 3.5 single out It's not that loud to me, you could try maybe a 2chamber flowmaster those are a little tamer.
most of your noise is going to come from the muffler, if you have a cai maybe try a airaid mit with the stock airbox that might help so
most of your noise is going to come from the muffler, if you have a cai maybe try a airaid mit with the stock airbox that might help some.
I was thinking that because the headers and Y pipe deleted the catalytic converters that maybe if I took the resonator before the muffler out and replaced it with a high flow cat maybe it’ll tone it down? I really love the sound of the muffler I don’t want to change it out just fine a way to dial it down a notch or two

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently wrapped up quite a few mods to my 2013 Escalade and need some advice on how to tame the exhaust volume down a few notches. I absolutely love the sound of the new exhaust but it just a little to loud, on a 1-10 scale it’s at like a 9 and I’d like to to be around a 5/6ish. The exhaust components listed below is the order of installation, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Mod list: AFM delete with a TSP L92 VVT stage 1 cam, CAI, cat delete, 1 7/8 headers with Y pipe —-> 12” vibrant performance 3.5” resonator —-> Borla XR1 40946 —-> 3.5” to dual 2.5” axle back dual exhaust with quad tips.

Your volume came from losing the cats. You're gonna need a lot more muffler. That Borla is only 16". I had a similar straight-through that was 18" long. It was perfect when my exhaust was otherwise stock (manifolds, cats, etc.). After the headers and cat delete, it was obnoxious. It took an additional 22" muffler added inline with the 18", 40" total, to get it "strong, but not obnoxious". My suggestion is to put a ~16"-20" 3.5" straight-through muffler to put ahead of that Borla. Something like this: https://a.co/d/fnSWu8m

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that because the headers and Y pipe deleted the catalytic converters that maybe if I took the resonator before the muffler out and replaced it with a high flow cat maybe it’ll tone it down? I really love the sound of the muffler I don’t want to change it out just fine a way to dial it down a notch or two

Cats are effective mufflers. This would definitely help, but I can 't say how much. Cats are also expensive, so it'd be a costly experiment. It would help with the exhaust smell, though.

I don't see the point of a universal resonator positioned AHEAD of a muffler. A resonator is designed to attenuate and cancel out a specific range of frequencies. If the muffler's tonal effectiveness was a known factor, then yes, you could pair it with a resonator ahead of it as they'd be designed to work together to achieve a specific output sound. Generally, a resonator is placed after the muffler to clean up some undesired frequencies rather than lower the output volume. People often throw resonators in just because they're smaller to fit where something was and it does something. Resonators are to alter the sound, not so much the volume. Sure, if the sound changes enough, we're gonna perceive that as "louder" or "quieter". Straight-through mufflers, such as your Borla and that Dynomax I linked to primarily adjust volume. Yes, they absorb sound frequencies so they will produce a certain sound signature that is clearly different from a chambered or baffled muffler. What I like about the straight-through design is that it's quite effective at lower RPM and volumes, giving a [relatively] quiet idle and cruising sound. But, when the gases really start flowing, they get proportionately aggressive. Best of both worlds. They also always flow about as best as you could possibly ask for. Chambered and baffled mufflers manipulate the waves in a manner to "color" the sound. Most are still just a "can", so they tend to be louder at idle and cruising. For obvious reasons, they also don't flow as freely as the straight-through design.

Did you keep your stock exhaust stuff? You could have your original third cat put back in in place of that resonator that likely isn't doing much, anyway. If it works for you, it'd be a cheap solution and reducing the exhaust smell would be a bonus.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cats are effective mufflers. This would definitely help, but I can 't say how much. Cats are also expensive, so it'd be a costly experiment. It would help with the exhaust smell, though.

I don't see the point of a universal resonator positioned AHEAD of a muffler. A resonator is designed to attenuate and cancel out a specific range of frequencies. If the muffler's tonal effectiveness was a known factor, then yes, you could pair it with a resonator ahead of it as they'd be designed to work together to achieve a specific output sound. Generally, a resonator is placed after the muffler to clean up some undesired frequencies rather than lower the output volume. People often throw resonators in just because they're smaller to fit where something was and it does something. Resonators are to alter the sound, not so much the volume. Sure, if the sound changes enough, we're gonna perceive that as "louder" or "quieter". Straight-through mufflers, such as your Borla and that Dynomax I linked to primarily adjust volume. Yes, they absorb sound frequencies so they will produce a certain sound signature that is clearly different from a chambered or baffled muffler. What I like about the straight-through design is that it's quite effective at lower RPM and volumes, giving a [relatively] quiet idle and cruising sound. But, when the gases really start flowing, they get proportionately aggressive. Best of both worlds. They also always flow about as best as you could possibly ask for. Chambered and baffled mufflers manipulate the waves in a manner to "color" the sound. Most are still just a "can", so they tend to be louder at idle and cruising. For obvious reasons, they also don't flow as freely as the straight-through design.

Did you keep your stock exhaust stuff? You could have your original third cat put back in in place of that resonator that likely isn't doing much, anyway. If it works for you, it'd be a cheap solution and reducing the exhaust smell would be a bonus.
I still have the entire oem exhaust system. After removing the stock manifolds along with their cats, directly underneath the passenger seat area after the oem Y pipe was what looked like a resonator or would that be a 3rd catalytic converter? Im not really sure, but do to the placement I assumed it was a resonator to help cut down cabin noise before the muffler. What your saying makes a lot of sense, I’ll give that a try. The oem muffler was huge in comparison to what replaced it and was nearly the perfect amount of exhaust noise.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have the entire oem exhaust system. After removing the stock manifolds along with their cats, directly underneath the passenger seat area after the oem Y pipe was what looked like a resonator or would that be a 3rd catalytic converter? Im not really sure, but do to the placement I assumed it was a resonator to help cut down cabin noise before the muffler. What your saying makes a lot of sense, I’ll give that a try.

It's a third cat. It's not as effective as the two primaries as those are for monitored emissions. That third is to scrub off what gets past the primaries. Still, it's a cat and would provide an amount of muffling along with reducing the smells some. It was added to these things for the '09+ models. My '08 just had the two primary cats.

The oem muffler was huge in comparison to what replaced it

Engineers don't intend to choke down the exhaust with a relatively restrictive muffler. But, they have to meet specific noise standards. This is a luxury SUV- most buyers aren't gonna want to hear the engine. They strike a fair compromise between noise emission and restriction. It's not a terrible restriction but there is plenty of room for improvement performance-wise if you're willing to sacrifice sound muffling, as you're doing here.

...was nearly the perfect amount of exhaust noise.

This gives us a good idea of what you like. Which, conveniently enough, aligns with the idea I had of what you were wanting, the experiences I referred to and the suggestions I made. Desired exhaust sounds are all so subjective but now we have something to work with.

It's good that you kept your stock stuff. A lot of people don't realize their value and let the muffler shops keep 'em to dispose of. They sell 'em for scrap and make a few hundred bucks. That third cat is technically "free" to you, so swap it in place of that resonator and reassess. If this isn't enough of a reduction in sound, then you can toss in another muffler inline with that Borla. It being only 16" means you have plenty of space for another muffler. You can either replace it altogether with one larger muffler or add in another. If adding the cat isn't enough but is a step towards what you want, then you can get my with adding less of an additional muffler. For example, instead of the 16" I suggested prior, you might be fine with a 14" or even 12". These straight-through, packed mufflers are that simple in design and their muffling effectiveness is pretty linear with their length and overall height and width of their body, which determines the thickness of the packing- the muffling media.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s a reasonable scrap value for all 3 cats?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a third cat. It's not as effective as the two primaries as those are for monitored emissions. That third is to scrub off what gets past the primaries. Still, it's a cat and would provide an amount of muffling along with reducing the smells some. It was added to these things for the '09+ models. My '08 just had the two primary cats.

Engineers don't intend to choke down the exhaust with a relatively restrictive muffler. But, they have to meet specific noise standards. This is a luxury SUV- most buyers aren't gonna want to hear the engine. They strike a fair compromise between noise emission and restriction. It's not a terrible restriction but there is plenty of room for improvement performance-wise if you're willing to sacrifice sound muffling, as you're doing here.

This gives us a good idea of what you like. Which, conveniently enough, aligns with the idea I had of what you were wanting, the experiences I referred to and the suggestions I made. Desired exhaust sounds are all so subjective but now we have something to work with.

It's good that you kept your stock stuff. A lot of people don't realize their value and let the muffler shops keep 'em to dispose of. They sell 'em for scrap and make a few hundred bucks. That third cat is technically "free" to you, so swap it in place of that resonator and reassess. If this isn't enough of a reduction in sound, then you can toss in another muffler inline with that Borla. It being only 16" means you have plenty of space for another muffler. You can either replace it altogether with one larger muffler or add in another. If adding the cat isn't enough but is a step towards what you want, then you can get my with adding less of an additional muffler. For example, instead of the 16" I suggested prior, you might be fine with a 14" or even 12". These straight-through, packed mufflers are that simple in design and their muffling effectiveness is pretty linear with their length and overall height and width of their body, which determines the thickness of the packing- the muffling media.
I went with a Borla 40086 in place of the resonator. I’m literally out of room, the Y pipe ends —-> 8” flex connector —-> 3.5” length 3.5” SS pipe —->Bola 40086 —> 4.5” SS 3.5” pipe —-> Borla 40946 —-> SS 3.5” axle back to dual 2.5” to 3.5” quad tip side exits after rear tires. Sound much much better, like you mentioned before that resonator wasn’t doing much of anything at all. I read something about putting a resonator before the muffler to delete tones before being amplified throughout the muffler. As soon as you mention the increase in volume, I had the “hand slapping the forehead duh” moment and it made perfect sense. Thanks a lot for the help I really appreciate it

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s a reasonable scrap value for all 3 cats?

The best thing is to sell it directly to the recycling place. There are scrappers that buy them but then they sell them to the recyclers. They gotta get their cut so they're gonna offer the lowest value to you. Skip the middlemen.

I looked mine up a couple years ago. A recycler had a space on their site where you enter the numbers embossed in the side of the cat's case and it would give you their latest going price. My left and right ones were two different prices, something like $210 and $220, IIRC.

The problem is that this was before cat theft was so rampant. Now, you might have to have a license or some sort of credentials to be a valid scrapper of cats. With this, you might HAVE to sell to a scrapper. Just be as far up the chain as possible if you wanna get the best price possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar