Need help with my exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe442

Reaction score
Hey guys, currently am running no cats (**** emissions) to a 14" magnaflow muffler out to a 3" tailpipe. I have been having to drive the truck a lot more and am getting so tired of the drone of the exhaust. I am wanting to quiet it down without spending much money but still keeping a nice deep rumble and not really hindering any performance. Has anyone one used a simple straight through resonator to quiet theirs down? any suggestions would be great. Thanks guys

aj713

Reaction score
Once the cat is removed or hollowed, pritty much anything you put in it with a straight through design will be loud. Mine is hollowed out in my 95 2 door, and I have a Gibson cat back exaust in it. Under acceleration it has a bit of a bellow- nothing rediculous sounding, and close to no drone on the hyw at 70/80.. But it's not a straight through muffler. I had a 2power sticks on my o4 silverado with the cat still on and I wanted it louder!!

Sent by carrier pigeon

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Oops- I ment 94.- and I should have never sold it.

Sent by carrier pigeon

westman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Apologies for hijacking, but does gutting/removing that cats throw any codes?

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once the cat is removed or hollowed, pritty much anything you put in it with a straight through design will be loud. Mine is hollowed out in my 95 2 door, and I have a Gibson cat back exaust in it. Under acceleration it has a bit of a bellow- nothing rediculous sounding, and close to no drone on the hyw at 70/80.. But it's not a straight through muffler. I had a 2power sticks on my o4 silverado with the cat still on and I wanted it louder!!

Sent by carrier pigeon

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Oops- I ment 94.- and I should have never sold it.

Sent by carrier pigeon

X2
A long 2/3 Chamber MagnaFlow would tone it down a bit. But anything hollow is gonna sound about the same.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Tahoe442, yes put a resonator before the muffler and that will help or the cheapest is to go to the muffler shop and add a tee after the muffler and cap the tee.

sgtpoliteness

Reaction score
It's very illegal if you're in an area that has a testing program for your vehicle. If you don't, then no sweat.

Cat monitoring didn't begin until '96, at the earliest, with the post-cat HO2's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Illegal regardless. Whether the install is monitored for installation by individual states and their politics on wanting to deal with it is another issue. Epa can not be everywhere at once. Besides I don't see car makers leaving it off for 49-states. Certainly would save some money. Someone must be saying it is required in all states.

sgtpoliteness

Reaction score
Federal emission requirements are less strict than what's referred to "California" standards that states like NY use. No car can be sold in the US unless it meets Federal/49 state emissions whether Wyoming tests or not.

I should have been more clear. Sunlit is right, it's very illegal one way or the other. However, if no one is checking than you have a better chance of not getting caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879