Need help wiring up new sound system...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Hey all. Now that my Hoe is mechanically sound, more or less, it is high time that I put some boom in it. The douche-nozzle that owned my Hoe before me had an amp under the back seat, so there is a good power line from the engine compartment to the rear seat, and a stereo RCA cable that runs from the back seat to behind the factory stereo. The door speakers have been replaced with some nice alpines of some sort, and the rear, rear speakers have been disconnected. That's where I'm at.

I want to add an amp for the door speakers, and an amp for a sub(s), and put them under the rear seats. The head unit I'm getting has RCA line outs for everything, including a sub out.

How do I get/route the amplified signal from the amps under the back seat, to the speakers in each of the doors? Thanks.

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your going to have to run a 4 channel amplifier for the speakers. the subs can use a mono or 2 channel amp. If you already have a power wire set, you need a ground that matches the gauge of the power, a remote turn on lead (i usually run them to my fuse panel and attach it to the radio). what you'll also need is speaker wire, and lots of it. you must run each pair of wiring to each speaker, 1 pair for 1 speaker. It's a mess, you'll most likely have to pull your seats and carpet. A subwoofer on the other hand is easy because everything is already out there for you.

OP
OP
ravingmadman

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Outstanding. I made a living as a DJ right out of the military, so I understand wiring, amperage, wattage, and all of that as far as what physically needs to exist, but I have no idea how/where to route everything. I have the wiring diagram for my radio, and it looks really simple as far as what powers what. The power line going to the rear is really beefy, much beefier than what I'll be running, so I think I'm going to split it to run both amps.

How do I get the speaker wires into the door pillars? Will it be easy/obvious when I remove the seats/carpet? My '77 K5 was really obvious. Since I'm having to rewire everything, it sounds like this would be a good opportunity to update/replace the crap wire that's in there already, yes?

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Just make sure that when you route your power wire(s) which are most likely 4 gauge, to match it up with the ground wire. If you don't that'll lead to a blown amp and fuses, possibly even blown circuits.

You'll need a 1 to 2 splitter, found at any audio store if you choose to run two amplifiers.

Removing the seating and carpeting are actually pretty easy. The driver and passenger seats are held down by four bolts each. If it is a bench seat then the passenger will have six bolts. The rear seats are held down by bolts and torx screws. The seat belts also use torx. When you've finished removing the seating the carpeting will come right off. The only way to run the speaker wire to the doors is to remove the pillars between the rear and front doors. There is a small opening covered by rubber that houses already existing wiring. That's where you should run it. When you replace the factory wiring just make sure that you use at least 16 gauge and lower, (the lower the numbers the bigger the wire) because those wires are the "nerves" of your audio system.

OP
OP
ravingmadman

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Many thank you's, wise master. I believe the wiring that's in there right now is 18 or 20, and it looks as pathetic as it sounds. I will take some pictures when I do this. I'm piecing all the parts together currently, I will have a garage to work in, in March. if I can wait that long. lol

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Ahh, one more thing!! The super douche (Todd from Burien) also sheered the antenna off, and it is not repairable despite my efforts. Those who've shaved theirs, where do you have them, and how did you wire them?

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many thank you's, wise master. I believe the wiring that's in there right now is 18 or 20, and it looks as pathetic as it sounds. I will take some pictures when I do this. I'm piecing all the parts together currently, I will have a garage to work in, in March. if I can wait that long. lol

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Ahh, one more thing!! The super douche (Todd from Burien) also sheered the antenna off, and it is not repairable despite my efforts. Those who've shaved theirs, where do you have them, and how did you wire them?

an antenna belonging to what?

OP
OP
ravingmadman

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Radio. Sorry. The base of it is still sticking up on the passenger side wheel well, but the antenna has been shorn off. So I'd like to pull the wire from it, and put another antenna somewhere in the rig so I can pull in FM better.

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see. I think that its primary location is the best for full reception. If you are using an aftermarket radio, an antenna is not needed (although can be used). I couldn't think of anywhere to place it, that is, if its sticking up and not laying down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts