need help identifying/naming rear frame part

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TMAN9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all! I have a 2002 Tahoe that i've owned since new, and like MANY others in the North East, it has the rust "cancer". It's not my my primary vehicle, but I like driving it, it only has 80K on it, and the interior is mint.... or i'd trash it. Well, I started hearing a "clunk" in the rear end, and it turns out to be a crack in a "bracket/shackle?" (not sure what is the correct term) that is welded to the top of the frame just in front of the rear tire, on the drivers side. It has a bolt/bushing that connects to a "bar" that runs rearward toward the rear axle. Need help with the terminology/names of the above parts. Not driving it till I repair.

Long story longer, I have a friend thats an expert welder, and I hoped to find a source for the the "bracket" (has to be welded to the frame), AND a new bushing/bolt (once again need correct name/ p/n). I searched "rear frame diagram" and "rear suspension diagram" for my year/model, but I can't find the parts/terms. I tried you tube too, to no luck. I know I have to drop the gas tank, and will get new straps for that, and if I'm going through all the trouble, I would like to replace the "bracket" on both sides. BTW, in addition to my welder buddy, I have access to a lift, cutting/grinding equipt., etc.

I'd go to the dealer and ask, but they'll probably just tell me i'm crazy, it's a 20yo truck, and to junk the truck.

IF my description doesn't make sense, let me know, and i'll snap some photos tomorrow & post.

Thanks in advance for helping out the new guy! -tom

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it’s part of the frame which it must be since it’s welded, there’s not much use finding the name of it since nobody will sell that part. You’ll have to find one at a wrecking yard, cut it off, and weld it to yours. But if you have rust in the frame so bad that parts are breaking or cracking, I’m afraid to say you’re probably chasing your tail. It doesn’t matter that it only has 80k or the interior is mint, if the frame is cracking you’re pretty *******.

OP
OP
T

TMAN9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sounds like you are describing the panhard bar, but pictures would be more help, like mark said though if it's rusting that bad other things are going to go, might be a death trap.
Thank you both for your replies. I should have mentioned this is a station car. 3miles/day <30mph. I took a pic of the crack. Sorry for my lack of terminology.D42C5E92-C47C-4792-A1FB-C4816F9E997F.jpegif it’s a goner, it’s a goner. Anyone need a Vortec or interior in the North East?

Oh, pic taken just in front of rear drivers tire. Running boards top of pic.

Thanks again!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it’s on the bottom of the frame, not the top? That’s the lower control arm, it’s pretty important since the upper and lower control arms are what mount the rear differential to the frame and allow it to move up and down with the suspension. If that breaks completely your rear end will be flopping. Has your welding friend looked at it? You’d have to cut that off a donor vehicle or make one from scratch. It’s also possible he could just add reinforcement plates to both of the outsides and use a longer bolt. My concerns is if that one is bad, the other 3 locations where the control arms mount aren’t far behind. And the rest of the locations where other things bolt to the frame like the panhard bar mounts, shock mounts, etc might be ready to break too. If you just want to use it like you’re saying, driving it slow and only a few miles, I’d suggest just reinforcing it like I mentioned.

OP
OP
T

TMAN9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you SO MUCH for the info.

Yes, sorry, I had it “upside down in my mind”…..oops.

My welder buddy (he welds trucks, lifts, plows, etc. for our town) did look under the truck, albeit not on a lift. He seemed to think we could source those “brackets” (left & right).
We will check all connection points for the rear end. I certainly don’t want my rear ending going bye bye. Which is why I’m NOT driving it ATM.

He did also mention welding plates on both sides.

I will call local junk yards, and stop searching on he NET for after market replacements that don’t exist.

Poor girl, (many Hunting trips in NY/Maine). “Back up vehicles” too:

Attachments

• 26562FE5-C931-4A05-BD87-40E8ABFF8521.jpeg
    26562FE5-C931-4A05-BD87-40E8ABFF8521.jpeg
    526 KB · Views: 6
  • DE7776F1-E01C-4D1B-8557-08A4548D5F09.jpeg
    DE7776F1-E01C-4D1B-8557-08A4548D5F09.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 6

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you can't find a good donor then cut it off and take it to a machine shop and have a copy made a halfway decent shop can make something up easy, I'm fortunate enough to have one here in town that can make dam near anything.

OP
OP
T

TMAN9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry, but can you name the “correct section”. I thought!”general” would apply. my bad