Need audio help please!!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmorereppin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok, I have a 03 tahoe, for the last few months the drivers side sound will cut out and cut on when ever and got worse with time now i have no sound at all on the left side, if i set the left side speakers only on the sound is faint. I went to best buy of all places and talk to a tec, and he said " ahh you need to replace your factory HU, but i will need a special class 2 100 dollor harrness" fine, i got a Panasonic dvd flip out and the freakin 100 dollor harnness, boom its in, still no sound on the drivers side, i played with the fuse box at the drivers door, all fuses good, unplunged the speaker harnness from the fuse box and reconnected, no luck, but i really think its that fuse box that the speaker harnness plugs into, ANY CLUE?

I am in the process of upgrading door speakers, 1 10" sub, 4 ch amp,one ch amp, and just running all the speaker wires independent to amp, but would like to solve this issue

03YukonNH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't see why that wiring harness was $100. I've never heard of that before. Whats so special about it?

About the speaker, are you sure the speaker isn't just bad? I took my door panel apart the other day and the stock speaker enclosure is all rotted out. I didn't look at the wires going to the speaker but perhaps they could have become corroded.

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if he has bose and onstar etc. that special harness is supposed to retain his chimes and all that stuff and make the installation just plug n play but since you gonna go with an amp and 4 new speakers then you basically just wasted a $100 imo, but to help with your speaker problem: maybe your factory wiring is screwed up some how or its possible that maybe the left channel on your factory amp is gone out

groundscr8pr

flaccid member
Reaction score
all 03 and up silverado/sub/tahoe are class 2 data. wich means there is no switched ig at the radio harn and all the warning chimes are run through the deck out too the d side door speaker. hence the need for the data/chime retention module. you can use a 70-2003 metra harness and run you own switched ig to the fuse box. as for the l side audio not working i would check the factory amp located behind the glove box. metra also makes a amp bypass harness that might help you. 70-2054 you must have rpo code y91.

01TX_Tahoe

Semper Fi
Reaction score
all 03 and up silverado/sub/tahoe are class 2 data. wich means there is no switched ig at the radio harn and all the warning chimes are run through the deck out too the d side door speaker. hence the need for the data/chime retention module. you can use a 70-2003 metra harness and run you own switched ig to the fuse box. as for the l side audio not working i would check the factory amp located behind the glove box. metra also makes a amp bypass harness that might help you. 70-2054 you must have rpo code y91.

i second this one... it could be the factory amp. just drop the glove box all the way and you can see the plugs. the color wires coincide with the same colors that are located in the doors..

luckie80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you have already replaced the head unit and are replacing the door speakers, sub and amps then there is no point in sweating this problem. The problem is without a doubt in your factory amp. Once you replace this you will have the sound back. And for the record, the only need for the metra harness is just so you can keep the factory door chimes and the on-star.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse