Need advice...or a good mechanic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 GMC Yukon SLT 2 wheel drive 5.3L V8. I really love this truck and how good its been since I bought it almost 10 yrs ago. At the moment I have an oil leak and dont know where its coming from. The truck now also has some sort of a short to where it has changed the language on my display and it also causes the truck to not start or stutter then start, and sometimes starts and if I step on the gas peddle, nothing happens. Should I just give up on this awesome truck or should I try and keep it going, its still got alot to give. Please some good advice.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 GMC Yukon SLT 2 wheel drive 5.3L V8. I really love this truck and how good its been since I bought it almost 10 yrs ago. At the moment I have an oil leak and dont know where its coming from. The truck now also has some sort of a short to where it has changed the language on my display and it also causes the truck to not start or stutter then start, and sometimes starts and if I step on the gas peddle, nothing happens. Should I just give up on this awesome truck or should I try and keep it going, its still got alot to give. Please some good advice.

With what you have shared, it’s kind of a wide open range of things that it could be.

Not knowing your level of comfort or ability to work on your own vehicle also makes it a challenge to offer advice.

First off, these vehicles are very finicky when it comes to low voltage. How old is your battery? How are your battery, power, ground cables and associated connections? Much corrosion visible?

The sputtering could be a few things as well. When was the last time you had a tune up? How old are the plugs?

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your battery connections and grounds. And the MAF.

My experience is top post batteries are prone to issues. My truck has side post mount and so far no issues I'm aware of. Corrosion may look "ahhh just a little hint" but actually stops voltage. Found that out on my lawn tractor. Ever since I don't underestimate corrosion.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Check all the simple things like those mentioned above, I suspect it's time for your cluster to be repaired. There's a guy on youtube who fixes them, send him an email and see if he's familiar with what you have going on.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Without knowing your capabilities, I would have a qualified tech inspect it. I would read thru this about the grounds: https://www.fixmyoldride.com/Chevro...e7e5cd24ed24635&at_ab=per-2&at_pos=3&at_tot=4

Yes, the MAF and MAP are important but you gave no mileage so we could get an idea of the miles and age on them. You can get a cleaner at the parts store to attempt to help but if you have 150k+ miles on them I would replace them with GM parts and not aftermarket.

Age of tune related components is needed as well.

The oil leak depends on the location of the wet spot and where it starts at. Again, get a tech to show you where the leak is.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you want a good honest independent mechanic putting your location in your post would be a big help. If you lived in my neck of the woods I can recommend one.

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 changed language a few times while cranking, and traced it to a failing battery.

Oil leaks can come from any number of sources. You can buy dye to pour in the oil thats then seen as it leaks with goggles and a light. best to pressure wash the engine first, then put some miles on it after the dye goes in.

My engine have a severe leak at the oil pressure sender, rear main seal and rear main seal housing. Replaced all while trans was out out and getting replaced.

andzac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 04 Yukon Denali that would hesitate when pushing gas pedal,I changed pedal sensor and it doesn't hesitate anymore!

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the ol' daze, a battery was alive or dead...but with all these new electronics, a zombie state, enough to start and act normal can still be low and really effect electronics. Of course, things like bad/corroded connections and weak ground can effect voltage too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e