NBS rear spring options 2-3" drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What springs are those? They look like the BT 5305, but black. I can't remember if it was the 5305 or another one, but it was originally a drop coil for the Trailblazer. It gave more drop in the fullsize SUVs but was also known for being soft. Now I'm quite sure that your firm ride issue is due to the shocks. It shouldn't matter, but everyone always said the tighter coils that would compress and touch go to the top.

I could post a pic of mine, but I don't see how that would be relevant. I have Jeep TJ coils.

Im fairly certain they are Eibach 3882.52. Can't seem to find the order in my summit history but I may have ordered as a guest.

I think I agree it's the shocks because I took a buddy who sets up chassis for some serious drag cars for a ride. He had me getting on it hard in 1st-2nd to feel how it handles the abrupt abuse of the shifts and it's very noticeable that the rear bounces and struggles from traction and stability. It's even more noticable if I leave hard in a turn, makes the back end feel like a john boat side ways in white caps. So hopefully the new Vikings fix this and I can dial in the setting to perfection. I found it amazing how feel the front stays steady and controlled even with no sway bar right now. The coilovers are vastly superior than decranked t bars.

On the spring theory I checked out my other buddies abrolanche (the brodozer D bag version of an avalanche) and his "Ebay" springs actually ride good and hes on 24s. Heres a pic of his springs you can tell the coils are not touching like mines.

Lastly in defense of my springs possibly being installed upside down I actually had summit ship these straight to the PO to have installed before I flew in. Granted I did remove and reinstall them for the axle swap but that's besides the point :jester:

20210122_172819.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't see how there is a "top" or "bottom" to the pigtailed springs. Maybe they meant the compressed "dead" coils go to the top if you were to cut some off for more drop? That would make sense cuz the pad on the axle is too small and needs the pigtailed end on it.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't see how there is a "top" or "bottom" to the pigtailed springs. Maybe they meant the compressed "dead" coils go to the top if you were to cut some off for more drop? That would make sense cuz the pad on the axle is too small and needs the pigtailed end on it.

Yeah gravity doesnt care what side of the spring is up lol. Guess I'll see in a few weeks when the shocks get here if it fixes it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine a spring is supposed to be near full compression like this at ride height. Although I suppose with only 4.5" of up travel remaining there isn't a need for much more spring compression. Either way seems wrong, anybody care to post pics of their rear springs at ride height?

@iamdub @Rocket Man

View attachment 268511
That’s fu**ed up. Something is wrong there. No wonder your back is feeling the bumps. Here’s my Belltech 2” lowering springs just now with the truck on the ground. I’m running Bilstein Autoride shocks I bought from Arnott back when they were available. It’s a pretty decent ride considering. 2BE3DD97-6603-48FE-A097-FCD94BC199F6.jpeg

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s fu**ed up. Something is wrong there. No wonder your back is feeling the bumps. Here’s my Belltech 2” lowering springs just now with the truck on the ground. I’m running Bilstein Autoride shocks I bought from Arnott back when they were available. It’s a pretty decent ride considering. View attachment 268832

Yeah, something is screwy with these Eibach, that's what I assumed it should look like lol. If the shocks don't fix it then those Belltechs look like a good option.

Thank you for the pic!

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, something is screwy with these Eibach, that's what I assumed it should look like lol. If the shocks don't fix it then those Belltechs look like a good option.

Thank you for the pic!
You’re welcome. It’s not easy for an old dude like me to get under there but I figured it was worth it. ;)

73Vetteman

Reaction score
I started with the Belltech 34324 lowering kit that sells for about $210. It also includes shock extenders and bumpers. On my 2015 Tahoe it lowered it almost 4" with the autoride rods adjusted for no supplemental lift from the air shocks. I used a 2" spacer under the springs and readjusted the rods to give the desired ride height of 2" drop. Those gave the very soft ride that I wanted however they were just a bit soft for trailering my car hauler.

i then bought the Belltech 5321 springs for about $180. No spring spacers were needed with those. They gave me the correct drop with the slightly stiffer ride needed for trailering without sway. The ride is still very acceptable and better than factory. The description states these springs are not compatible with autoride but that is false. They work perfectly for me. With only a 2" drop I don't think the shock extenders are needed but they were installed with the first Belltech spring kit so I left them.

If you have the autoride (autolevel) as I do, you want to adjust the sensor rods so the feature functions as designed. I bought 3" long 1/8" diameter all thread stainless bolts from Home Depot and cut the heads off to make adjustable rods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started with the Belltech 34324 lowering kit that sells for about $210. It also includes shock extenders and bumpers. On my 2015 Tahoe it lowered it almost 4" with the autoride rods adjusted for no supplemental lift from the air shocks. I used a 2" spacer under the springs and readjusted the rods to give the desired ride height of 2" drop. Those gave the very soft ride that I wanted however they were just a bit soft for trailering my car hauler.

i then bought the Belltech 5321 springs for about $180. No spring spacers were needed with those. They gave me the correct drop with the slightly stiffer ride needed for trailering without sway. The ride is still very acceptable and better than factory. The description states these springs are not compatible with autoride but that is false. They work perfectly for me. With only a 2" drop I don't think the shock extenders are needed but they were installed with the first Belltech spring kit so I left them.

If you have the autoride (autolevel) as I do, you want to adjust the sensor rods so the feature functions as designed. I bought 3" long 1/8" diameter all thread stainless bolts from Home Depot and cut the heads off to make the rods adjustable.

John, thank you for the feedback that's exactly what I was looking for. I don't have autoride in fact my rear setup is kind of a mix of several different brands and parts that don't belong to this generation truck anyway. I had my eye on those 34324 springs with spacers but I do tow a lot and don't really want a 4" drop so it sounds like the 5321 should be about perfect assuming the drop amount is similar between the different generations. Do you happen to have the 34324 springs anymore? I'd consider taking them off your hands for research purposes.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
John, thank you for the feedback that's exactly what I was looking for. I don't have autoride in fact my rear setup is kind of a mix of several different brands and parts that don't belong to this generation truck anyway. I had my eye on those 34324 springs with spacers but I do tow a lot and don't really want a 4" drop so it sounds like the 5321 should be about perfect assuming the drop amount is similar between the different generations. Do you happen to have the 34324 springs anymore? I'd consider taking them off your hands for research purposes.

Yes, I do still have them. Will PM you.

I forgot to mention both sets of Belltechs are variable rate springs so a few coils are almost fully compressed, with more space between other coils. That premium design gives a stronger spring rate as the spring compresses, affording a better ride.

oh05ext

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can onyone in here give me some help please. hate to threadjack. Im looking to lower the rear of my 05 denali roughly 2". I tow a pontoon boat every other weekend when the weather is nice and will have 3-7ppl in the truck. the boat weighs roughly 4500lbs loaded. I was looking on rockauto at the heavy duty avalanche springs with a higher spring rate but overall shorter height. Or would you recommend the Belltech 5321 with my autoride shocks adjusted?
Load Rate Rear 1300
Wire Diameter 0.640"
Load Rate Rear 590
Rear Spring Inside Diameter 4.4"
Spring Rate Rear Variable
Rear Spring Relaxed Length 17.2"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne