NBS rear spring options 2-3" drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have Eibach 3882.52 coupled with shock extenders and some old but not 2004 old KYB shocks also, the free travel mod has been done and I do not believe it's bottoming out but I will test that tonight. The rear just rides rough and has been exacerbated by the recent front upgrades. I am fairly set on getting a matching set of Viking double adjustable shocks in the rear but I don't think that's the main problem, I think the spring is just not that great because small bumps and cracks in the road are noticeable and large bumps feel very harsh and can be felt in my lower back/spine.

I suppose I am asking what the best riding rear spring is? I know this is a very subjective question but does anyone have some data to back up their claims?

P.S. I do understand it's a lowered truck with "Sporty" parts and it does ride much better than any other lowered truck I've owned but I think it can be much better.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come one guys I know people are running other springs besides the Eibach, I know TBSS store sells a "Custom" Belltech spring I'd love to find a part number from someone running them. There's also Maxtrax and I think Ridetech or somebody else makes some.

Plus I've seen some stuff about an OEM PPV spring for the NNBS trucks, anyone know if this will fit the NBS?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PPV spring would only drop about 1.5" and it'd ride firmer.

I think the Trailblazer 2" or 3" DJM drop coils will drop a Tahoe 3" or 4" and they're known for being a tad soft. They're also known for dropping more than advertised. I ran McGaughy 3" coils for a day or so. I thought they rode great but only got me about 2.5" of drop. I might have gotten the full 3" if I ran them longer.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PPV spring would only drop about 1.5" and it'd ride firmer.

I think the Trailblazer 2" or 3" DJM drop coils will drop a Tahoe 3" or 4" and they're known for being a tad soft. They're also known for dropping more than advertised. I ran McGaughy 3" coils for a day or so. I thought they rode great but only got me about 2.5" of drop. I might have gotten the full 3" if I ran them longer.

So NNBS springs will fit the NBS? That's good to know.

I'm torn between getting a nice set of shocks and seeing if that helps and then possibly going through multiple spring setups. Or fabbing mounts for coilovers and having a better bag setup where the factory springs sit.

I don't believe anybody has coilover converted the rear of these trucks and documented it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So NNBS springs will fit the NBS? That's good to know.

I'm torn between getting a nice set of shocks and seeing if that helps and then possibly going through multiple spring setups. Or fabbing mounts for coilovers and having a better bag setup where the factory springs sit.

I don't believe anybody has coilover converted the rear of these trucks and documented it.

As far as spring fitment, they're pretty much the same from '01 to '20. Them McG 3" springs originally came from a NBS. The BT 5305 I ran for a short time are used on NBS and NNBS. Hell, Jeep Wrangler rear coils fit our rigs! lol

When I first lowered mine, it rode very firm. I thought it was the springs, so I tried a couple other that should NOT have rode firm and it still did. On a hunch, I unbolted the shocks and backed out of the shop and immediately felt a huge difference. Apparently, the BT shocks that many said rode like stock were super firm. slapped some Bilsteins I had kickin around (also from a Jeep, but an XJ) and it's pretty much perfect.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as spring fitment, they're pretty much the same from '01 to '20. Them McG 3" springs originally came from a NBS. The BT 5305 I ran for a short time are used on NBS and NNBS. Hell, Jeep Wrangler rear coils fit our rigs! lol

When I first lowered mine, it rode very firm. I thought it was the springs, so I tried a couple other that should NOT have rode firm and it still did. On a hunch, I unbolted the shocks and backed out of the shop and immediately felt a huge difference. Apparently, the BT shocks that many said rode like stock were super firm. slapped some Bilsteins I had kickin around (also from a Jeep, but an XJ) and it's pretty much perfect.

What are BT shocks? I might have to test that, I can't imagine an expensive brand like eibach would produce a shit spring. I've installed their race series coilovers on an FRS and and FD RX7 and I was very impressed on the ride quality, almost put their kit on my tacoma but Bilsteins were a fraction of the price.

However I don't really want to do bilsteins on this mostly because I'd like double adjustable to dial in to my liking and with the shock extenders you can see the bottom of the shock which would look dope AF with those bling bling Vikings. :D

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are BT shocks? I might have to test that, I can't imagine an expensive brand like eibach would produce a shit spring. I've installed their race series coilovers on an FRS and and FD RX7 and I was very impressed on the ride quality, almost put their kit on my tacoma but Bilsteins were a fraction of the price.

However I don't really want to do bilsteins on this mostly because I'd like double adjustable to dial in to my liking and with the shock extenders you can see the bottom of the shock which would look dope AF with those bling bling Vikings. :D

Belltech. I bought their Street Performance shorter shocks for my drop. I just got the wrong ones, apparently. They have two styles and I went with the bigger ones cuz I was trying to keep it as close to original fit and feel as possible. The Bilsteins from the XJ I had were exactly the same dimensions as the other BT shocks that I should have gotten. (pure luck). I pressed out the crossbar, drilled the bushing a little to fit the sleeves in, then bolted them in. And, no, Eibach is good shit. I'd blame old KYB shocks before the Eibachs, unless they're not intended for your application/use.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Belltech. I bought their Street Performance shorter shocks for my drop. I just got the wrong ones, apparently. They have two styles and I went with the bigger ones cuz I was trying to keep it as close to original fit and feel as possible. The Bilsteins from the XJ I had were exactly the same dimensions as the other BT shocks that I should have gotten. (pure luck). I pressed out the crossbar, drilled the bushing a little to fit the sleeves in, then bolted them in. And, no, Eibach is good shit. I'd blame old KYB shocks before the Eibachs, unless they're not intended for your application/use.

Well, you are quickly talking me into shocks, so I guess I gotta get with Atomic and get some more Vikings on the way and go from there

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine a spring is supposed to be near full compression like this at ride height. Although I suppose with only 4.5" of up travel remaining there isn't a need for much more spring compression. Either way seems wrong, anybody care to post pics of their rear springs at ride height?

@iamdub @Rocket Man

20210122_081428.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine a spring is supposed to be near full compression like this at ride height. Although I suppose with only 4.5" of up travel remaining there isn't a need for much more spring compression. Either way seems wrong, anybody care to post pics of their rear springs at ride height?

@iamdub @Rocket Man

View attachment 268511

What springs are those? They look like the BT 5305, but black. I can't remember if it was the 5305 or another one, but it was originally a drop coil for the Trailblazer. It gave more drop in the fullsize SUVs but was also known for being soft. Now I'm quite sure that your firm ride issue is due to the shocks. It shouldn't matter, but everyone always said the tighter coils that would compress and touch go to the top.

I could post a pic of mine, but I don't see how that would be relevant. I have Jeep TJ coils.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos