Nasty looking oil after 5200 miles of driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today I did my second oil change. The first one was done at the dealership at 800 miles due to possible fuel contamination in the oil. When draining the oil today with 6000 on the odometer it was black and looked like oil would in a diesel or a 20k oil change interval. I pulled a sample and will send it to Blackstone Labs for a oil report. The first report was fine so if this one comes back ok I'll pull a sample every 10k instead of every 5k. I am shocked how dirty this oil was. I change my oil on all my vehicles every 5000 miles. My Honda Pilot and Corvette oil could almost go an additional 5000 miles at each oil change because the oil looks very good. Just wondering what you folks are seeing with your oil when you change it. I know the Chevy dealer installed a Delco filter at 800 but dang that oil was dark. I installed a Purolator PureOne oil filter PL22500 along with 8 quarts of 0w-20 full synthetic dexos2 oil. If the oil looks like poop in the next 2500 miles I will replace just the oil filter before the next 5000 mile oil change. I'll post back up when I get the lab results on the oil from this change.

JasonHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my oil changed at 722 miles. Then I got the 5000 mile oil change at 4870 miles before we went on this trip where our lifters failed. I checked the oil before the oil change, and it looked clean like honey on the dip stick.

Mobil 1 extended performance with regular wix filter. Dealership charges very low labor when I supply then oil and filter.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my oil changed at 722 miles. Then I got the 5000 mile oil change at 4870 miles before we went on this trip where our lifters failed. I checked the oil before the oil change, and it looked clean like honey on the dip stick.

Mobil 1 extended performance with regular wix filter. Dealership charges very low labor when I supply then oil and filter.
I must say the 5.3 on this Tahoe is super easy to change the oil. I don't even have too use ramps. Just slide under and swap out the filter then drain the oil. The filter and drain plug are right next to each other. The one thing I love is no obstructions. The filter comes right out along with the oil without hitting the frame, suspension or cross members.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I do 5k intervals on just about all my vehicles and I’ve noticed the late models do end up with darker oil than I used to see in older ones. I don’t know if that’s due to changes in the engines, or the newer oil formulas.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, color has zero to do with its effectiveness. Most modern oils have high TBN well past 10K miles, even though we are sure we have to change them early....

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fireman: I would use an AC filter to help you preserve your warranty. Obviously dexos oil in the recommended grade. Good luck!
Ya might not be a bad idea considering our engine is a ticking time bomb. Any mechanic that has done any research knows a PureOne filter is one of the best filters on the market. It has superior construction with the valve and interior media. I'll pick up a Delco filter and throw it on there in a few thousand miles.

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 the oil looked like crap from the first change on and it is at 247k miles and never any engine issues. My 1970 Vette that I put a $1200 GM crate engine in it back in 1997 the oil always looks clean on the dipstick to this day. My 2004 Gallardo the oil looks like crap almost instantly since all the coolers and stuff you never get all of the oil drained out. 2021 Tahoe already engine issues at 6k miles so I guess my point is it isn't much of a determining factor.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't changed ours yet and have 5500 miles on ours now, here is what the oil looked like a couple hundred miles ago. Oil life is at 26%

PXL_20210601_225534567.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic