Nasty Bird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK folks,

Don't laugh too hard. It's spring in WV and I don't have a garage for my Denali. Some very large bird has taken to perching on my shiny luggage rack and sh_tting bucketloads down the side of my truck. I haven't caught sight of the damn thing yet so I don't know what kind of bird it is.

Suggestions??

A shotgun is definately out of the question. I live in a housing development.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bb gun ftw! That'd be my first choice!

2nd choice would be put a fake owl on top of your luggage rack and that'll probably keep the bird away. You'll only need to put it up there while park at that location.

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that is quite an interesting situation that you have found yourself in! :chicken:

Anyhow, as the others have stated a BB Gun is always an option. That or an Airsoft Gun might work. Unfortunately, they both are not the most accurate of guns in existence, and you don't want to go around shooting out your windows on your Yukon.

The owl will most likely work, but only for a short period of time. You have to keep the owl moving or the bird will soon learn that the figure is not real.

You could always try calling the Bird-X Control at 1-800-860-0473 or going to their website HERE

Other then that, I suppose it just gives you a good excuse to wash your truck every week :)

Good luck with your problem nonetheless!!

bmxdannyo

Reaction score
around south texas they will put sparkly shiny (waterproof) strands of paper in the trees. They for whatever reason will not even land near the tree. If you dont want to buy the shiny paper, ive seen cd's hung that work. Im assuming you have a tree nearby?
......Or you could do this

I have a feeling that you wouldn't use your roof rack anymore though haha
draft_lens14836081_1288295824bird-spikes.jpg

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen the shiny paper thing work on boat docks to prevent the same thing. Might be worth a try. Either that or fashion up a bird zapper (similar to a bug zapper) and go to town!!! :D

OP
OP
A

ajay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the imput everyone. I did confirm the offending bird is a Robin.

I just got back from Lowes and there is a hungry looking plastic owl perched on my rack. I took out the "*********" from his bottom and tie wrapped it to the cross bar. All I have to do to mount him up is push him on to the plug. When I drive I just pull him off and leave the black plug up on the rack. You don't even notice it up there.

Anyway, I hope this will work at least while nesting season is going on. This is the first time in the 20 years I've lived here that a bird claimed my truck for his favorite spot to perch & poop. I wouldn't care if it was a work truck but no way does this happen to my Denali! :flame:

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*Caution: Use ONLY as a Last Resort*

Thanks for the imput everyone. I did confirm the offending bird is a Robin.

I just got back from Lowes and there is a hungry looking plastic owl perched on my rack. I took out the "*********" from his bottom and tie wrapped it to the cross bar. All I have to do to mount him up is push him on to the plug. When I drive I just pull him off and leave the black plug up on the rack. You don't even notice it up there.

Anyway, I hope this will work at least while nesting season is going on. This is the first time in the 20 years I've lived here that a bird claimed my truck for his favorite spot to perch & poop. I wouldn't care if it was a work truck but no way does this happen to my Denali! :flame:

Well hopefully the owl will work out for you!!

As a last resort you could always try THIS ;)

Attachments

• Presidential Motorcade SUV.jpg
    Presidential Motorcade SUV.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
A

ajay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, This is kinda funny.
The robin is either too smart or too dumb to be scared by the owl. It sees itself in my chrome strip and attacks the strip to defend its territory. The stupid bird will spend the entire day out on my truck attacking my luggage rack and sh_tting up a storm. Guess I'll try parking in another location. Don't want to miss my shot with a bb gun and take out my windshield.

Attachments

• MVC-061F.jpg
    MVC-061F.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 23

GreatWhite

Reaction score
I have a mockingbird that does that here in SoCal; actually he does it to all of the neighbors' cars. He particularly likes side-view mirrors, but luggage racks, Onstar antennae etc. are all OK with him. No solution yet, but I've been thinking about that sticky slime that is supposed to keep pigeons off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jezze77