Nadthomas 2007 Yukon Denali 200k Mile Re-build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, short back story. I bought this 2007 Yukon Denali off my boss about 6 months ago knowing it needed some maintenance and cleaning, but was generally maintained with regular oil changes, etc, and still drove well. Before I bought it I did a leak down test, since the I had heard the exhaust manifolds leaking for the past 2 years and I wanted to make sure there wasn't burnt valves. Leakdown test came back perfect, so I was pretty confident with some repairs it has some decent life left in her. It was also originally purchased to be a newer/nicer replacement for our 3rd vehicle. As it turns out, my wife liked it a lot better then her current DD, so she will be taking the Denali as her new DD. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Denali as well, but I would rather weave through traffic in my BMW and row my own gears.

20171209_135846.jpg

So, I cleaned it, clamped the exhaust manifold, and fixed some of the minor issues like TPMS, bad key fobs, and some broken interior pieces. Then we drove it through the winter and spring to identify any additional problems, and how I wanted to go about fixing them. Ultimately I came to the determination that I was just going to pull the motor and give it what I'm calling a light refresh. After that I will rebuild the suspension. The end goal is to have a reliable daily driver for the next couple of years, then it will probably moved back to being a 3rd vehicle(......then hopefully use the powertrain in a 72 Blazer......someday).

Known Issues
-Several Broken Exhaust Manifold bolts - Clamps helped, but they still leak.
-Sometimes CEL for Cam Phaser
-Slightly fluctuating oil pressure
-Both Front CV Axle boots slinging grease
-Blown Air Ride
-Occasionally firm shifts
-Also pretty much everything is covered in a think layer of dirt and grease(probably one of the bigger reasons why I want to pull the motor. Just so I can clean, I love a clean engine bays)

Before I ramble further, I know you want to see some pics. So, I'll jump to current day and fill in the details in the next couple of post. Here is how she sits in the garage today.

20180708_194919.jpg
20180708_194907.jpg

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you got your work cut out for you! Thanks for sharing! In for progress! I love the 2007 style Denali! Why classy looking rig!

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
So what is on the to do list for the "light refresh"???

OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a hard way to clean an engine.

True, but notice how black the valve covers are...that was after spraying down the engine bay with a engine degreaser, and then simply green. I'll be trying some oven cleaner next.

So what is on the to do list for the "light refresh"???

Glad you asked, I ran out of time and didn't want to ramble on for too long in the first post. Here is what I plan to to do:

Engine
Remove Oil Pan and Valve Covers to check for sludge and/or debris
Replace Oil Pump
Replace Oil Pickup Tube
Inspect/Replace Timing Chain Set
Replace D.S. Exhaust Manifold (Pretty sure it is warped)
Replace both sides Exhaust Manifold gaskets and bolts
Replace Cam Phaser Actuator
Replace Engine Mounts(H3)
New Starter(Damaged the old one removing it)
New Front and Rear Main Seal
New Gaskets for anything I touch
Paint Valve Covers w/ VHT Wrinkle Red
New Plugs & Wires
K&N Intake

Trans
Remove and inspect valvebody (ie. check balls)
Replace Transmission Fluid and Filter
Replace Transmission lines

Suspension
My wife said she didn't care for the amount of body roll, and I like trucks lifted or lowered. So, down it goes. I'll be doing away with the factory air ride system, as it would both cost more to replace and adds complexity.
Belltech 753SP (2/3 Drop)
DJM Endlinks
Swaybars(Maybe)
Helper Bags(I will probably end up towing something at some point).

Others

Replace front CV axles

Of course this may be expanded on once I inspect things, but I'm hoping to stop there. I'm no expert on this platform, just a guy that tinkers with his toys, so if anyone sees something I should really address while I have it all torn apart let me know. Also, I wish it was in the budget to do headers and a cam, but maybe in the future.

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
True, but notice how black the valve covers are...that was after spraying down the engine bay with a engine degreaser, and then simply green. I'll be trying some oven cleaner next.

Glad you asked, I ran out of time and didn't want to ramble on for too long in the first post. Here is what I plan to to do:

Engine
Remove Oil Pan and Valve Covers to check for sludge and/or debris
Replace Oil Pump
Replace Oil Pickup Tube
Replace Timing Chain Set
Replace Water Pump
Replace D.S. Exhaust Manifold (Pretty sure it is warped)
Replace both sides Exhaust Manifold gaskets and bolts
Replace Cam Phaser Actuator
Replace Engine Mounts(H3)
New Starter(Damaged the old one removing it)
New Front and Rear Main Seal
New Gaskets for anything I touch
Paint Valve Covers w/ VHT Wrinkle Red
New Plugs & Wires
K&N Intake

Trans
Remove and inspect valvebody (ie. check balls)
Replace Transmission Fluid and Filter
Replace Transmission lines

Suspension
Do away with air ride system
Belltech 753SP
DJM Endlinks
Swaybars(Maybe)
Helper Bags(I will probably end up towing something at some point).

Others

Replace front CV axles

Of course this may be expanded on once I inspect things, but I'm hoping to stop there. I'm no expert on this platform, just a guy that tinkers with his toys, so if anyone sees something I should really address while I have it all torn apart let me know. Also, I wish it was in the budget to do headers and a cam, but maybe in the future.

Looks like you have a pretty good handle on things. Good luck, have fun, and post pics.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on all that, good choices. I did most of that and then some on my 02 over time with a few more goodies added. That VHT Wrinkle is awesome stuff. I did my valve covers red like you and the front cover, water pump and anything else removeable in the front of the engine in the black. All that aluminum looks terrible after awhile but after the VHT Wrinkle it stays looking good.IMG_6630.JPG

OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks great. More things might get painted, I'll have to see how I feel about them after then are clean. I may just give everything else a fresh coat of silver. I have done that in the past with good results.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might as well put a new camshaft and lifters even if stock. At least check them and the cam bearings out.

Get the updated driver's side valve cover, prevents oil blow-by. Consider replacing the VVT parts while it's apart too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442