Mystery Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
As mentioned previously it may be the oil cooler block off gasket which is directly above the oil filter (oil filter is the object on top of the photo). You can see mine had a slight leak...

B42F67B3-8258-4CC3-934E-7B2203D8FBD7.jpeg

This is what the gasket looks like...
8661F0B6-08C3-4943-9EB3-FDED689096D2.jpeg

But it might be something else...just throwing ideas at ya!

Reminds me...I have to check to see if the new FelPro gasket stopped the leak.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Oops...sorry...I responded to ddan19.

I’ve actually got the same leak as well (except mines a bit worse), so I’ll be watching this post as I can’t figure out where it’s coming from either!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As mentioned previously it may be the oil cooler block off gasket which is directly above the oil filter (oil filter is the object on top of the photo). You can see mine had a slight leak...

View attachment 264792

This is what the gasket looks like...
View attachment 264793

But it might be something else...just throwing ideas at ya!

Reminds me...I have to check to see if the new FelPro gasket stopped the leak.

That looks like a ***** to change, any tips?

On the oil cooler line block, there is a plug on its side. Using a 3/8 Allen wrench remove the plug, replace that plug's O-ring, you are good to go.

View attachment 264798
View attachment 264797

Where is this located at?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like a ***** to change, any tips?

Where is this located at?
It's the same location as the block-off plate is - just above the oil filter. The difference is that those with a block off plate don't have an oil cooler so they don't have the lines coming out of it. It's not hard to access. Looks worse than it is. Helps to have the front end raise on ramps or jack stands though.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
With a 24” extension and swivel joint you don’t even have to remove the tire or the inner fender liner. I did have the vehicle on jacks as I was working on something else. Super easy.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the tip, ill see about trying to check that.

I agree, its a super minor leak. Honestly I have yet to see it drop on the ground. I am trying to just count my blessings and keep driving this ole girl. Currently at 188k and hoping to get another two years of solid use out of her before retiring it to a toy/hauler.
Who ever fixed your previous leaks did a great job.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a 24” extension and swivel joint you don’t even have to remove the tire or the inner fender liner. I did have the vehicle on jacks as I was working on something else. Super easy.

Is that a 10mm?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz