Mystery Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aeterna

Reaction score
Ive had numerous leaks fixed including the rear main, oil pan, timing cover, and valve covers. This little nugget showed up the other day. It appears the oil is coming between the plastic cover and the bell housing.

has anyone seen this one before?

26DF6E43-D6F5-4B2B-83C8-AF4E6E6CCCCD.jpeg A4496C3C-779A-4401-9F2C-BD5A7C6BC77D.jpeg 26DF6E43-D6F5-4B2B-83C8-AF4E6E6CCCCD.jpeg A4496C3C-779A-4401-9F2C-BD5A7C6BC77D.jpeg

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just noticed one in mine today also. Coming down from above the filter but can’t tell where from.

View attachment 261406
Do you change your own oil? If not, reach up there and tighten that filter. My father in law takes his Denali to the stealership for oil changes. One day I noticed his brand new Denali with a fresh oil change was leaking in my driveway. Upon further inspection that filter wasn’t “hand tight”...more like “limp wristed”. I took a paint pen to the filter and drain plug, so when he made them fix the problem (new oil and filter), it was nice to see they actually did the work rather than saying “yep good as new!”.
Anyways, that could be a possibility regarding your leak. The other culprit would be the oil cooler lines. They are not the most exciting task to get involved in, more tedious than anything. Let us know what you guys find out.

14RamHemiSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you change your own oil? If not, reach up there and tighten that filter. My father in law takes his Denali to the stealership for oil changes. One day I noticed his brand new Denali with a fresh oil change was leaking in my driveway. Upon further inspection that filter wasn’t “hand tight”...more like “limp wristed”. I took a paint pen to the filter and drain plug, so when he made them fix the problem (new oil and filter), it was nice to see they actually did the work rather than saying “yep good as new!”.
Anyways, that could be a possibility regarding your leak. The other culprit would be the oil cooler lines. They are not the most exciting task to get involved in, more tedious than anything. Let us know what you guys find out.

Second this. I have had a slow leak since i bought my 09 denali. A few weeks ago i went under and wiped everything down to start chipping away at small things. I need to replace the block off plate gasket and go from there. well i went under this weekend and there was oil everywhere. My first thought was "wow, this surely progressed, time to get it to the garage". Something kept telling me to check the filter. As you guys know you cant get your whole had around the filter with the pan in the way, but i was able to turn it with my fingers a good amount. This is relatively new as well (filter being loose). Im about 400 miles before needing to do an oil change, so something recently loosened that filter up. Could it be the cold temps? I use wix xp filters. never had an issue last oil cycle with the same wix xp filter. Both times dealer changed oil (i supplied oil and filter). I will be doing my own oil changes here on out, so no loose filters again.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
Could also be the valley cover gasket starting to leak out the back.

thanks for the tip, ill see about trying to check that.

I agree, its a super minor leak. Honestly I have yet to see it drop on the ground. I am trying to just count my blessings and keep driving this ole girl. Currently at 188k and hoping to get another two years of solid use out of her before retiring it to a toy/hauler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076