Mystery milkshake after pan gasket change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I found the problem.Driver side water pump connection was leaking.You can see in the picture how it's cleaned the front of the timing chain cover.

I must not have got the pan gasket on correctly And coolant leaked into whatever gap there might be.

Still seems odd.There was no sign of coolant leak but it seems the picture shows It might have been a pretty steady flow.

Once I Pull the motor I'll inspect that pan gasket and see where I screwed up.

Seems like the only way coolant could have got into that pan.

I will do a follow up once I get more information.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks

I don't see how that is possible. But these days nothing surprises me anymore haha

OP
OP
I

Instigator01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't see how that is possible. But these days nothing surprises me anymore haha
It's all I can figure and there's clearly a leak on the driver side connection point on the water pump.

The passenger side connection is completely covered in Grease, whereas the driver's side has been washed.Clean from the leak.

The only other thought I have is.The coolant is leaking behind the timing chain cover into the pan.

I will know more once I get it pulled and tore apart.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all I can figure and there's clearly a leak on the driver side connection point on the water pump.

The passenger side connection is completely covered in Grease, whereas the driver's side has been washed.Clean from the leak.

The only other thought I have is.The coolant is leaking behind the timing chain cover into the pan.

I will know more once I get it pulled and tore apart.

I don't think that can be happening either but I wish you the best. Are you loosing coolant in the overflow tank? Like a measurable amount?

OP
OP
I

Instigator01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't think that can be happening either but I wish you the best. Are you loosing coolant in the overflow tank? Like a measurable amount?
Overflow tank was dry but the top hose on the radiator spilled fluid when I disconnected it..

Drained the coolant and it had no oil in it.

That leak is the only evidence I have of water intrusion into the pan. The only other thing I could figure is.The oil cooler had ruptured and filled the oil cooler lines with coolant.But that doesn't appear to be the case.

There Was no coolant in the oil until I changed that pan gasket.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would pressure test the oil cooler in the radiator before starting the new engine. I know it seems coincidence that it could have let go right after fixing the oil oring. But that really means even if you did not do that work, it was going to let go the next time you went driving.

OP
OP
I

Instigator01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would pressure test the oil cooler in the radiator before starting the new engine. I know it seems coincidence that it could have let go right after fixing the oil oring. But that really means even if you did not do that work, it was going to let go the next time you went driving.
I.
Would have thought if there was a corruption in the oil cooler that the oil would also be mixed with the coolant.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the contaminated oil pan we can look at?

OP
OP
I

Instigator01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the contaminated oil pan we can look at?
No it's still on the motor.

Little good news for me though, I was just able to loosen all three torque converter bolts.

The first one was rough but then the next two went well.

All the YouTube videos show using a socket and everybody rounds off those bolts. But I've never seen one. YouTube video where they actually used a hex key socket, which is what I did. I didn't even have to hold the flywheel, still. Feeling lucky now!

I'm gonna call it a day for now and yank that motor tomorrow

Thanks everyone

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it's still on the motor.

Little good news for me though, I was just able to loosen all three torque converter bolts.

The first one was rough but then the next two went well.

All the YouTube videos show using a socket and everybody rounds off those bolts. But I've never seen one. YouTube video where they actually used a hex key socket, which is what I did. I didn't even have to hold the flywheel, still. Feeling lucky now!

I'm gonna call it a day for now and yank that motor tomorrow

Thanks everyone
Why do you have to unbolt the converter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HpinAZ