Mysterious Coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been chasing the mystery leak for years despite 2 new pumps. The resisvor will run low enough to trigger the light. Radiator is always full however.

I found my leak the other day as I seen it drip from the back firewall. The 2 metal hard lines that route to the rear heating. One of those lines drips coolant. There is no fitting to fix, need to change the lines itself.

Just another place for people to look. The lines bend under the body from firewall.

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been chasing the mystery leak for years despite 2 new pumps. The resisvor will run low enough to trigger the light. Radiator is always full however.

I found my leak the other day as I seen it drip from the back firewall. The 2 metal hard lines that route to the rear heating. One of those lines drips coolant. There is no fitting to fix, need to change the lines itself.

Just another place for people to look. The lines bend under the body from firewall.

those connectors suck to replace. Have fun with that.

Chizzychase

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would deffinetly start by looking into the water pump as mentioned before. My water pump developed a crack in it for no known reason I just noticed that it was dripping coolant everytime I parked it.

oldchev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I had better news but this is what I have heard:
Its only the Castech 706 5.3/4.8 head that has issues. Not all 706's are made by Castech though so you have to pull the valve covers and check. Use this link below to a service bulletin on it.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bluegorilla/2008-12-05_142924_Coolant_loss_5.3.pdf

Sounds like you are not the only one if you have the 5.3 or 4.8 engine size in your vehicle.

jacam7610

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
those connectors suck to replace. Have fun with that.
I just changed the coolan bypss fitting yesterday. It was a bear. I eventually had to cut the fittings because there was little to no room and the tools i had did not work.
I drained and replaced coolant and ran it for a bit and it ended up running hot again. Reservoir drained, added more coolant and water mix and let it sit. Ran hot again.
I and trying to figure out what the problem is myself. I was thinking the thermostat but will check the water pump.
Thanks for the information and i'll keep reading and posting if i have any updates.
2004 Z71, 206,000 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts