2022 Tahoe 5.3 - overheating dead on road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

2022_z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Finally back in Ohio and catching up on all this.

The end result here was frustrating in that the Chevy dealership in Saint Anthony could not I.D the issue. They ended up replacing the 2 coolant res caps, the service manager drove it for 120 miles and could not get the issue to replicate again.

I ended up with a rental suburban from west yellowstone for 2 days while they diagnosed it.

In the remaining 2300 miles of the month long trip, the vehicle gave me no issues other than a flat tire in Glacier. It has not overheated again or made the same symptoms since then.

At a bit of a loss as to what happened but it does without saying that I have lost serious confidence in the truck. This is my first ever new vehicle, I have owned every German brand there is, most US brands, and this is the first vehicle in my 18 years of driving that has left me on the side of the road and dead in the water.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a ****** situation @2022_z71 and to sprinkle a flat tire on top of that $hit cake. I feel for ya.

It’s odd that replacing 2 reservoir caps solved the issue? The symptoms you experienced I feel would warrant a lot more than that. I too would not be confident and trusting of the road trip ability.

Though it sucked it could always be worse right? Good or bad you and your family will NEVER forget this vacation!

OP
OP

2022_z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking back on the entire thing, My only possible thought here is that somehow air made its way into the coolant system and an airlock took place which at some point along the process was resolved. I was on no sleep and it was 38 degrees and raining when this all happened and there were things I wish I would have thought to check.

After the first towing to the hotel, the engine was still warm, I had zero hot air coming from any of the vents inside the car, which is how I logically went down the bad water pump rabbit hole.

At this point my next step is a warpath with GM, when I broke down I had no cell service to call roadside assistance. NEVER breakdown inside Yellowstone, the park service has sub contracted and monopolized the towing to single company inside the park. The idiot kid who came to tow me damn near ruined the trans trying to 2 wheel tow it with the diff/drive shaft still connected...

My (two) tows inside the park came out to a total of.... (sit down for this one)... $1300. I am going after GM for all of that money here shortly.

Overall I am really not sure what else to do, I am tempted to haul it down to my Chevy dealer and have them tear into it but not sure what good that will do..

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have repeatedly seen the posts on here about all kinds of problems with new Tahoes, Yukons and Suburbans. Plus there are alll the ones with problems that I don't see here on this forum. That is a bunch and completely unacceptable, IMO. I am so glad to have my GMT800 2005 Tahoe Z71 that has no problems and IMO, is also the best platform that GM built with these rigs. If I won a new GM 2021+ SUV, I would ask for the money instead. There is another thread pitting a Toyota brand against a GM brand and problems like this are driving GM owners right in to the welcoming arms of Toyota. Right now, GM is Toyota's best salesman.

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
Finally back in Ohio and catching up on all this.

The end result here was frustrating in that the Chevy dealership in Saint Anthony could not I.D the issue. They ended up replacing the 2 coolant res caps, the service manager drove it for 120 miles and could not get the issue to replicate again.

I ended up with a rental suburban from west yellowstone for 2 days while they diagnosed it.

In the remaining 2300 miles of the month long trip, the vehicle gave me no issues other than a flat tire in Glacier. It has not overheated again or made the same symptoms since then.

At a bit of a loss as to what happened but it does without saying that I have lost serious confidence in the truck. This is my first ever new vehicle, I have owned every German brand there is, most US brands, and this is the first vehicle in my 18 years of driving that has left me on the side of the road and dead in the water
When you have air in your coolant system, it causes steam pockets in the line which act almost like plugs preventing the coolant from continuing to flow. Once the engine cools down it will flow again but will return when engine gets hot again. Thats why they replaced 2 coolant caps. The coolant tank was empty cause it needed more coolant when running so it started pulling air cause the tank was empty therefore introducing more air in the system.

Last edited:
OP
OP

2022_z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you have air in your coolant system, it causes steam pockets in the line which act almost like plugs preventing the coolant from continuing to flow. Once the engine cools down it will flow again but will return when engine gets hot again. Thats why they replaced 2 coolant caps. The coolant tank was empty cause it needed more coolant when running so it started pulling air cause the tank was empty therefore introducing more air in the system.
Thanks this makes sense.

The part my mechanical knowledge still does not understand is after I had added coolant (water) back into the tank, I tried to drive it like 2 miles and I saw temps climbing, I pulled over to the side of the road and opened the hood and res tank was *empty*, and then about 5 seconds later the tank filled from the bottom up, bubbling like a volcano.

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have repeatedly seen the posts on here about all kinds of problems with new Tahoes, Yukons and Suburbans. Plus there are alll the ones with problems that I don't see here on this forum. That is a bunch and completely unacceptable, IMO. I am so glad to have my GMT800 2005 Tahoe Z71 that has no problems and IMO, is also the best platform that GM built with these rigs. If I won a new GM 2021+ SUV, I would ask for the money instead. There is another thread pitting a Toyota brand against a GM brand and problems like this are driving GM owners right in to the welcoming arms of Toyota. Right now, GM is Toyota's best salesman.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my neighbors 22 Sequoia has been in the shop waiting for a new engine. Seems they have their fair share of problems. Ask him and he will tell you he is in the process of Lemon Lawing it and can't wait to say goodbye to it and Toyota. His started out with electrical issues, followed by a new tranny, now an engine.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my neighbors 22 Sequoia has been in the shop waiting for a new engine. Seems they have their fair share of problems. Ask him and he will tell you he is in the process of Lemon Lawing it and can't wait to say goodbye to it and Toyota. His started out with electrical issues, followed by a new tranny, now an engine.
That is one Toyota Sequoia compared to bunches on this forum alone.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is one Toyota Sequoia compared to bunches on this forum alone.
Actually, the new toy engine platform - which started with the '22 Tundra - is also having A LOT of low mileage engine failures. There is a 3.4 I-Force engine failure thread on their forum with at least as many as here - and you know they haven't sold NEAR as many as GM because you just can't find em. I think there is too much tech in every new vehicle, and these new chips aint what they used to be...

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biggest ugly issue I see here is the towing situation in Yellowstone that along with no cell service to call.

Looks like GM support network came through as good as possible though.

I Doubt if Toyota or any other manufacturer would have faired better in helping you out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10