My wheel is sticking out from the fender on one corner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So let's say I hypothetically put some new rims on my truck recently, but the passenger side front wheel is sticking out from the fender about one inch, while the rest of the wheels are tucked nicely into their housings...what would I suspect to be the culprit here? I hadn't noticed it on the old set of wheels, and I think I would have.

Also with this alleged set of new rims, which may be 22" with 285/45/22 tires, let's say I found them to be rubbing. I'm interested in learning about the 2x4 trick, or any other way to eliminate rubbing. It seems to be happening at the rear of the front wells, at about center of the wheel, which is just above the bottom of the well.

Additionally if I were to have these problems, I might also have noted a pronounced shake in the steering wheel when I hit 70mph on the highway. Doesn't happen all the time, just some of the time. Allegedly.

I don't have any photos yet, which is why I am alleging everything at this point, but any help would be appreciated.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try the wheel in question in a different location? If it sticks out elsewhere, but no other wheel does, then it's the wheel. It sounds like the offset of one of your wheels is wrong.

I have the tires you mentioned, and I get some rubbing. But, it's only under specific, slow-speed circumstances. I don't think I'd get too concerned about it.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
One of your wheels has a lower offset than the others. That's why it sticks out.
The front one that sticks out probably rubs more as a result.
The shake could be due to lack of hub-centric rings being installed on the wheels or improper lug nut torque. On the extreme end, one or more of the wheels could be bent.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One inch (25.5mm) would be a pretty significant difference if it's in the offset.

Have you tried temporarily rotating the front two wheels side to side to see if the problem follows the wheel or remains in place?

OP
OP
VTburban

VTburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys I haven't tried anything to date. I just got them on a day ago, and haven't had a moment to spare. I'm actually going away again in a couple days so it'll have to wait until I get back, so I'll try to tackle it then. It's pretty significant; I noticed it almost as soon as the truck was off the jacks.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

The shake could be due to lack of hub-centric rings being installed on the wheels or improper lug nut torque. On the extreme end, one or more of the wheels could be bent.

So Neo, should I take this back to the guys that put them on, or take it to a specific type of tech to get it looked at?

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I recommend taking them back and asking if all the wheels have the same offset. Alsd tell them to install hub rings and torque the wheels to 125 ft/Lbs. Stock calls for 145 but that is awfully tight. A high speed RoadForce balance may also help.
On a side not, to literally stick out an inch from the rest is a lot.
I'm hoping some type of spacer or lug pattern adapter was not installed on that front wheel to cause such a difference because that could be the source of your steering shake.

OP
OP
VTburban

VTburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend taking them back and asking if all the wheels have the same offset. Alsd tell them to install hub rings and torque the wheels to 125 ft/Lbs. Stock calls for 145 but that is awfully tight. A high speed RoadForce balance may also help.
On a side not, to literally stick out an inch from the rest is a lot.
I'm hoping some type of spacer or lug pattern adapter was not installed on that front wheel to cause such a difference because that could be the source of your steering shake.

Ok thanks, I'll get that done asap. Thanks to all for the input.

Donovan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sound like you have some issues dude. Here you go hope this helps.

Offset: wheel manufactures will sometimes build the same wheel in different offsets for a specific application. Example a set of 20 OE wheels off a 2007+ GM will be tucked inside the fender on a 2006 or older. In the aftermarket non- replica "market" manufactures want to make wheels to fit as many trucks as possible. Sometimes they make the same wheel with different offsets to fit different models that's require different offsets.

Balancing. Hubrings are good especially on aftermarket wheels that are dual bolt patterns. They center the wheel on the wheel on the hub. And reduce or eliminate vibration at low speeds usually 40-60mph.Vibration at 60mph and up is usually balancing. There is more than 1 way to balance a tire depending on the dimensions of the wheel. Road force is cool because it measures the run out of the wheel and tire separately and then tells you where to position the tire on the to get the best rolling assembly. This reduces the amount of weight it takes to balance the tires.

Torque. When you torque a wheel on a vehicle you are joining 2 pieces of precisely machined metal or aluminum in to one piece And then putting them through an extreme amount of stress. Studs, have a certain spring tension when torqued properly. A stud will actually stretch just a hair when the proper torque is applied. If it is under torqued the lugs can loosen up, if over torqued the stud can snap off. If a wheel is not installed properly you can warp the rotor or hub. This could also cause vibration. I would never recommend under torque. An engine builder would not change the torque of a head bolts because it seems high. He would rely on the manufactures specs. Not opinion.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would pull the wheels and check the offset that is stamped on the wheels, you may have 2 different offsets... which if you have 2 with one offset and 2 with another offset then they were probably purchased that way...if 3 match and the fourth doesn't then you've been taken for a ride...get your $$ back asap.

OP
OP
VTburban

VTburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, back from a long weekend. So I had the time to make a few calls, and here's where things stand...one wheel was not balanced well, so the vibes at 70mph are gone. According to my tire guy and Tony, who sold me my rims, Chevy intentionally makes the passenger side front wheel stick out slightly further than the others. I've been told I would not have noticed it with my stock rims, but with certain offsets it becomes apparent. Tony said he's got the same problem on his Esky. While I totally believe Tony, I haven't noticed it reported from anyone else who has dropped their ride and added larger rims, including the TBSS rims. Anyone care to chime in on this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts