my last 6L80 post :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score

Something to inspect the next time I have the pan off for sure!

Not that I ever trust park, as a kid a neighbor ford had a park failure and it came rolling backwards down a hill, saved by a parked car and the basketball hoop/pole that we were playing on.

I scold the wife if I see her ever use just "Park" w/o the parking brake. :chair:

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
ETA: it looks like it's on the end that I never could get out to replace an O-Ring.
:banghead:

I got the shaft seal on the side, but I never could get that roll pin removed..
1688426988311.png

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Going through my images to see if I ever had that rod out, and if I happened to snap a picture...
Here is my make shift transmission jack. :ehcapt:
1688427145223.png

Turbine shaft Teflon seal install if you don't have the proper tool to compress those seals.
Expanded using a funnel. :secret:

1688427274132.png

After
1688427301465.png

Those seals were just about worn out at 180k, still sealing but they were pretty thin... :D

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ETA: it looks like it's on the end that I never could get out to replace an O-Ring.
:banghead:

I got the shaft seal on the side, but I never could get that roll pin removed..
View attachment 403257
See my "6L80E Special Tools" video where i show the little slide hammer/collet puller used to grab that roll pin. Its a pain in the ass, even with the tool. You'd remember using it...that said, you dont need to remove the rear roll pin unless you want to pull the housing to replace the o-rings.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going through my images to see if I ever had that rod out, and if I happened to snap a picture...
Here is my make shift transmission jack. :ehcapt:
View attachment 403259

Turbine shaft Teflon seal install if you don't have the proper tool to compress those seals.
Expanded using a funnel. :secret:

View attachment 403260

After
View attachment 403261

Those seals were just about worn out at 180k, still sealing but they were pretty thin... :D
Nice work, man! Glad to see folks take these on. IMO, they are relatively easy transmissions to take apart and rebuild as long as you have the right tools...

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I did this with some general tools, hardest part was pressing the pistons back in place.
I used a cheap amazon tranmission press modified to have a larger base and screwed down to a table... :ehcapt:
I really went heavy on the assembly Gel due to fears of tearing a piston seal ;)

For bushings I used a generic bushing install kit, lots of pictures and measurements to ensure I installed the bushings at the exact same depth.

The best installed bushings were ones that I needed to make up some missing space for the inside of the bushing with electrical tape.
Used super 33 for the smaller spaces, and super 88 when slightly more space was needed.
For some reason those bushings were the best fitting. :roflbow:

The one Official 6l80 tool I bought was for the giant snap ring.

As a novice w/o all the correct tools, the trick is to go real slow and take your time.
Blue print the fk out of it, detail everything. :patriot:

And I had fun with this.
Last/first transmission was a 700R4 on my C4 vette, I replaced all of the internals, only the valve body, output shaft, and the transmission case is orignal.
the 6l80 was much better experience.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I d

The best installed bushings were ones that I needed to make up some missing space for the inside of the bushing with electrical tape.
Used super 33 for the smaller spaces, and super 88 when slightly more space was needed.
For some reason those bushings were the best fitting. :roflbow:
Do you have any pics of this? Perhaps I’m misunderstanding but are you saying you put electrical tape on the inside diameter of a bushing?

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Do you have any pics of this? Perhaps I’m misunderstanding but are you saying you put electrical tape on the inside diameter of a bushing?

lmc if i snapped a picture,
A few random pictures,

The cheap pos press that I nearly threw out the window a few times, installing the billet piston in that pesky 1-2-3-4 drum.
1688429027540.png

POS but it worked,
1688429061603.png

Fun with the transmission pump, I had to buy it in pieces so I had some really confusing instructions telling me what pump kit to buy, so me confirming I did it right so I don't destroy one expensive housing.

1688429157954.png

I used a feeler gauge and some plastigauge to double confirm I didn't do it wrong.

1688429213770.png

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Pretty once it's together.
1688429261867.png

I also used durabond one piece bushings throughout.
I gouged the ones that came in the pump doing the end play checks, so they got replaced before the final install.
:ehcapt:

Memory lane here...
1688429391870.png

End play was too loose, so I made my own shim since I couldn't source one during rona.
1688429480093.png

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not concerned about any of the above.

Only what you said about putting electrical tape on the bushings. Here's how im interpreting what you said:

You thought there was too much clearance between the Id of the bushing and OD of it's journal in whichever part the bushing was installed. So you elected to put electrical tape on the inner diameter of the bushing to reduce the clearance. And you installed these bushings with tape on them into the transmission.

Is that correct or no?

I suspect im simply misinterpreting what you're saying but want to be sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts