my last 6L80 post :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Do you have any pics of this? Perhaps I’m misunderstanding but are you saying you put electrical tape on the inside diameter of a bushing?

Here we go,
I had to go out to my bushing set, i just happened to have a spare bushing + a few of the drivers that still had the electrical tape installed. :cool:

I hope this makes sense.
1688430359512.png

Tape used to make the bushing driver fit the bushing tighter, preventing it from deforming when driving in.

ETA: of course the tape does not stay with the bushing in any way.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Not concerned about any of the above.

Only what you said about putting electrical tape on the bushings. Here's how im interpreting what you said:

You thought there was too much clearance between the Id of the bushing and OD of it's journal in whichever part the bushing was installed. So you elected to put electrical tape on the inner diameter of the bushing to reduce the clearance. And you installed these bushings with tape on them into the transmission.

Is that correct or no?

I suspect im simply misinterpreting what you're saying but want to be sure.

That makes it sound like I left the tape on the bushings? :roflbow:
I hope the image above makes sense.
also see this bushing in the background, it still has the tape on it.
1688431055200.png

Used a razor blade to perfectly trim this shit too, making sure this crap went in as square as possible.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
and the driving surface of the other bushing has 0 tape since that would mess with the driver and could mess with the mating of the two surfaces between the different bushing driver discs.

the overlap you see where it hangs off the end is due to me installing that tape perfectly with the taper on the bushing driver, so the two driver halfs are all nekid when they get it on. :boobs:

Last edited:

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Here is an example of a bushing that I used tape on during installation.

The rear case bushing, I also spent tons of time researching that silly oil feed hole.
Note the original blue marking of the pass through in the case.
1688431387759.png

Confusing as fk right there. :secret:
Oil feed hole in bushing suggests oil needs to pass through that right?

What I found = not at all.
Just generic stock that had the feed hole for another transmission, factory says it should not have a feed hole that matches up in the case since the oil feed comes from the output shaft.

I spent hours and hours confirming that shit.
conflicting info all over.

And I ended up installing the bushing in the exact same spot as the orignal bushing.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Just Fishing

Here's what you wrote:

The best installed bushings were ones that I needed to make up some missing space for the inside of the bushing with electrical tape.

Here's how you could have wrote it that would have made it clearer:

The best installed bushings were ones that I needed to make up some missing space between the inside of the bushing and outside of the bushing driver with electrical tape.

Figured I was missing something as I was thinking that there was no way you could have thought it was a good idea to tape the inside of a bushing and install it like that but that's how it was written.

Nice work nonetheless!

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
@Just Fishing

Here's what you wrote:

The best installed bushings were ones that I needed to make up some missing space for the inside of the bushing with electrical tape.

Here's how you could have wrote it that would have made it clearer:

The best installed bushings were ones that I needed to make up some missing space between the inside of the bushing and outside of the bushing driver with electrical tape.

Figured I was missing something as I was thinking that there was no way you could have thought it was a good idea to tape the inside of a bushing and install it like that but that's how it was written.

Nice work nonetheless!

Typical me right there. :favorites37:

Last edited:

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I'll also note that the bushings that have tape on them still, that tape has "changed" having transmission fluid on them.
it feels like that cheap crap you buy at the dollar store now, got all stiff *insert se xual reference here*.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
And thanks, I found the 6l80 to be an absolute pleasure to work on.
Part prices sucked, and getting the silly selective snap rings was a bit of a pita, a little more confusing than the pump rotor stuff that was pretty straightforward in comparison. ;)

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And thanks, I found the 6l80 to be an absolute pleasure to work on.
Part prices sucked, and getting the silly selective snap rings was a bit of a pita, a little more confusing than the pump rotor stuff that was pretty straightforward in comparison. ;)
Yep, its definitely one of the easier units to work on, especially for technically inclined DYIers that are willing to make the investment in tools and time. In most cases, the tooling cost is equivalent to the rebuild labor cost so the tools pay for themselves immediately.

By doing this yourself, you've completely eliminated a huge dependency on an outside source in what is arguably the least transparent sub-sector in the auto repair space. That's peace of mind.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Just Fishing - Here's another tid-bit you may not have known:

The 6L family as well as the Ford 6R family of transmissions are all direct decendents of the German ZF6HP26, which both GM and Ford came to production licensing agreements with ZF to produce for their respective intended car and truck/suv models/sub-models.

So now that you're familiar with the 6L, you'd have no problem rebuilding any Ford 6R (6R60,80,140) or ZF6 series transmission. There's still some differences but the case and subassembly architecture is largely the same.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz