My code, P0758

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wade

Reaction score
Shift sol code I have.
My truck is a 2003 Denali with around 170K miles.

Symptom #1.....When it throws this code (When it has been sitting and is cold), it won't allow the truck to take off in 1st gear, it feels like its in either 2nd or 3rd gear ( I assume this is some sort of 'safe mode' ). But, once the truck idles a few mins and the fluids warm up, the code can be deleted with my reader and doesn't return even when driven all day, and drives fine. It only returns on cold morning starts when the fluids are cold.

Symptom #2.... especially when COLD, has a very slippy/delayed/slow moving shift/engagement on the 2-3 shift. It never slips once in gear though! Just the 2-3 shift point within itself is very slow and doesn't want to engage very quickly and firm. It just revs up and kinda hangs there for a second until its engaged into 3rd gear then everything from that point on is fine!

**Once the temps and fluids warm up, the condition of the slow/hanging 2-3 shift does improve, but still not perfect.

I'm also pretty sure on COLD days on start-up you can even faintly hear the shift solenoids making noise until the trans is warmed.

Fluid levels are good.

I need to address this very soon and I am I don't want to pay a shop to do this at the moment.

Can you all point me out what to replace? I assume a 2-3 shift solenoid and maybe a new valve body? Any tips or how to's?

Do I have a 4l60e or 4l80e in my 03 Denali?

THANKS!

ADDED: I have read that a faulty ignition switch can cause havoc with shift solenoids as well. But, I feel if that was the case then it would be a persistent problem which my problem does improve with driving and trans temps warm up.

Last edited:

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like symptom #1 is related to the vehicle going into fail safe mode. Otherwise I would agree, it sounds like a shift solenoid. Your 2003 Denali should have a 4L65E transmission.

OP
OP
W

wade

Reaction score
Sounds like symptom #1 is related to the vehicle going into fail safe mode. Otherwise I would agree, it sounds like a shift solenoid. Your 2003 Denali should have a 4L65E transmission.
Thanks, I agree.
Seems the 4l60e and 4l65e use all the same solenoid part #s.
I am a moron when it comes to these things. Anything else I should replace while I am under there that isn't overly costly? I would like it to shift quicker/firmer if anyway..,,

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "costly" part is somewhat subjective. You may want to consider an entire rebuild valve body package. They are more expensive then just replacing the solenoid, but you get all the old parts out at once and minimize the chance for redoing this again the future. Check out this auction on ebay. Here is the package of parts you will get in a bundle like this (you can find smaller/cheaper packages then this, but this one is pretty complete);

Valve Body Remanfactured
Sonnax TCC Regulator Valve (#77754-03K) INSTALLED
NEW TransGo Seperator Plate
UPPER and LOWER Valve Body Gaskets
8 Check Balls (7 Installed)
1-2 Accumulator Piston and seal
3-4 Accumulator Piston and seal
2 Valve Body Filters
Solenoids included
Transmission Pan Gasket
Transmission Filter

You may also want to consider doing the corvette servo upgrade.

OP
OP
W

wade

Reaction score
Thanks thus far! Can you guide me to the proper part# or link to the corvette servo upgrade? As, I know NOTHING about this stuff ;/

Looking like I am going to just do the solenoids at the moment.

OP
OP
W

wade

Reaction score
Now my truck no longer will go into 1st gear no matter what and rarely going into 4th gear. Throws codes p0756 and p0758

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM