My 2001 Tahoe makeover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been a member of this board for about a year after I bought a 2005 Tahoe LS. It had a lot wrong with it but thanks to people on this board, I was able to figure out how to fix almost all of it. It was a fun project. I also learned through all of this that I liked the looks and the options that came with the z71 model and I really wanted barn doors. I ended up finding one that I bought from someone that just wanted to unload it and not deal with the issues. So, here is my update on that project that I started in about April.

New tires, breaks, shocks, level kit, hood, seat covers, WeatherTech mats, lights enclosures, speakers, 1300 watt amp, new subwoofer, double din dash conversion, truck mirrors, and a very, very thorough cleaning. I still want to replace the stock rims with some kind of black rims, but that'll have to be later down the road. Anyway, as always, thank you all for the support!

20200820_171503.jpg 20200829_170954.jpg 20200903_191517.jpg 20200915_184353.jpg 20200924_195554.jpg

AJ Lerway

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mike, looks like a great job! I love the hood. My hood is staring to show some wear and would love one like that. Where did you get it? At some point I will probably need to replace my seats, they are not as bad as the ones you replaced but lots of cracking. Mine are the light grey leather.

Agreed, new wheels (maybe with some 2" spacers for a more aggressive look) are needed on mine too.

Tahoe back touchup v3.jpg Tahoe front touch-up v3.jpg Tahoe side touchup v3.jpg

Dutchman

Reaction score
That looks amazing. I'm starting to wonder if I could do a build thread for my truck. I didn't know I'd be doing so much stuff to it. Is it the forum that makes us do it? Not completely, but there are things I'm going to do to my truck because of the forum. Thanks to everyone for showing us such great ideas!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My spider web Z71 wheels are growing on me. I was going to get the black wheels that looked like my last ones on my 2002 but now I think I am going to keep what I got.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AJ, I bought this from Summit. Here is a link. They had to send me 2 because the first one was really bent up. The second one was bent too but my body guy just straightened it out. Summit was actually really helpful in getting it all take care of. I'm sure they lost money on me. Also, it should come with a plastic insert. Mine didn't come with one so they had to send it to me. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the hood. Good luck! I'd love to see it if you go that route.

OH, and I forgot to put on my completed list that I put on 2" Rough Country Spacers. They don't make as big a difference as I thought they would but they do a little.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/AMD-300-4099-3

Mike, looks like a great job! I love the hood. My hood is staring to show some wear and would love one like that. Where did you get it? At some point I will probably need to replace my seats, they are not as bad as the ones you replaced but lots of cracking. Mine are the light grey leather.

Agreed, new wheels (maybe with some 2" spacers for a more aggressive look) are needed on mine too.

View attachment 261834 View attachment 261835 View attachment 261836

Last edited:
OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you. After I used oven cleaner to shine the rims up, I actually kind of like the shiny look on black look of it. That's why I'm not in a big hurry to replace them yet. I need to replace the center caps on them because they are all scratched up and those seem to be expensive. I did find a set of 4 on this site, but I'm not sure I can trust it. Anyone else buy from here?

https://www.saeparts.com/factory-set-of-4-center-caps-tahoe-01-08-brushed-aluminum-15766002

My spider web Z71 wheels are growing on me. I was going to get the black wheels that looked like my last ones on my 2002 but now I think I am going to keep what I got.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the forum really helps. When you share a love for something that others completely understand it makes it less work and more joy I think. This forum has no doubt made me want to do things on my Tahoes that I wouldn't have done without it.

That looks amazing. I'm starting to wonder if I could do a build thread for my truck. I didn't know I'd be doing so much stuff to it. Is it the forum that makes us do it? Not completely, but there are things I'm going to do to my truck because of the forum. Thanks to everyone for showing us such great ideas!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree with you. After I used oven cleaner to shine the rims up, I actually kind of like the shiny look on black look of it. That's why I'm not in a big hurry to replace them yet. I need to replace the center caps on them because they are all scratched up and those seem to be expensive. I did find a set of 4 on this site, but I'm not sure I can trust it. Anyone else buy from here?

https://www.saeparts.com/factory-set-of-4-center-caps-tahoe-01-08-brushed-aluminum-15766002

I had a center cap that the tension spring was gone on and I bought a set from ebay and they were only about $30.00 for the set. I was surprised at the cost and the quality of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts