Muffler change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys quick question. My 04 Tahoe needs a new muffler just the body of the muffler itself. I ordered a flowmaster super 50 and am having a shop put it on.

The muffler I ordered is single in single out. Here’s the grind. My stock (?) muffler goes from the cats down to a single pipe into the muffler then comes out the muffler dual then back down to one pipe out the back.

Was this an OEM configuration? The shop said they can make it work by fabricating the rest of the tail pipe but all they have is 2.5 inch pipe.

Will the whole exhaust being 3 inch to the muffler then 2.5 for the last bit of pipe from the muffler back cause a performance issue?

sorry for rambling

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goofy OEM configuration. Most shops just nix the dual pipes and match the single outlet of the muffler to the single pipe going out the back. I'd step the transition down from the 3" leaving the muffler to whatever the factory tailpipe is. On mine, it was 2.75" ahead of the muffler and 2.5" over the axle and out. Go with stock size pipe or larger, not smaller.

OP
OP
Thouse

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so the mechanic made it work with minimal fuss. I think the front desk guy was making it more complicated then it needed to be. They ended up putting in a 50 series delta flow rather than the super 50 I ordered. They reused almost all the original tailpipe.

I took a stock exhaust clip (as if you guys don’t know what a stock 5.3 exhaust sounds like) and I will take one with the delta flow 50 series and post them later.

Honestly I think it sounds great.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so the mechanic made it work with minimal fuss. I think the front desk guy was making it more complicated then it needed to be. They ended up putting in a 50 series delta flow rather than the super 50 I ordered. They reused almost all the original tailpipe.

I took a stock exhaust clip (as if you guys don’t know what a stock 5.3 exhaust sounds like) and I will take one with the delta flow 50 series and post them later.

Honestly I think it sounds great.

A lot of people make exhaust piping out to be so much more complicated than it is. What'd they do- use one of the dual pipe legs as the single and spliced in a little piece or two where needed?

Any drone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700