Motor Flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chef choy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got a Yukon Xl, 01, with 160K. I have the typical lifter noise on start up, for like 20 seconds or so and it goes away. Stumbled on this video, and this looks pretty easy. Anyone see why I shouldn't do this? Any other pointers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RecrxxLT4s

Thanks!

JBTJ

Reaction score
Yeah, because if there is alot of sludge build up in the motor it will get flushed down into the pan and plug up the oil pump thus starving the motor for oil and burning up. Did you read any of the comments below the video?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chef choy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you be able to monitor this on the dash via oil pressure? Not trying to be stupid, just don't really know. I just cringe every morning when I fire her up. I know that sound can't be good, and just want to prevent any further problems.

JBTJ

Reaction score
What motor oil are you using? Maybe try something a little thicker, like 5 or 10w-40. Synthetic oil will help clean things up. Dino oil when not changed often will sludge up.

OP
OP
C

chef choy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't changed it yet. I just got the truck a couple months ago. I am getting close to an oil change and I thought I would knock this out at the same time. Wouldn't a thicker oil take longer to get to the right spots on cold start up's. This is when I am having the most issues.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At that mileage if they are ticking you pretty much have to replace stuff

JBTJ

Reaction score
I haven't changed it yet. I just got the truck a couple months ago. I am getting close to an oil change and I thought I would knock this out at the same time. Wouldn't a thicker oil take longer to get to the right spots on cold start up's. This is when I am having the most issues.

That is why I suggested a 0w-40. The 0 is cold start up weight while the 40 is warmed up at running temps that may make it quite. The first number in motor oil labels is the ambient temp weight. Meaning a 0 weight is thinner than a 5 or 10 weight. The second number is after the oil has heated up. So a 30 weight is thinner than a 40 or 50 weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithMO