Morimoto Bi-Xenon retrofit - Installation thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twentyfour

Reaction score
After test fitting the projector in the step above, I was ready to finish up the installation of the projectors so I could start the aiming process.

Before you are ready to proceed from here, you need to modify one more thing. That hole where the deflector was mounted, you should drill that out with about a 1/8" bit. You'll be feeding two 20ga wires through there for the solenoid to activate the armature for "high beam" activation later.

Here is the assembly of the later style projector. Once the projector is set and locked in (not too tight, so it can be rotated to level later), start the assembly. This black plastic ring allows for the newer style dust cap to be threaded on.
View attachment 275878

The bulb fits in....

View attachment 275880

This horseshoe clip fits in and sits flush, it keeps the bulb in place. Pretty cool.

View attachment 275881

Clip installed....

View attachment 275882

And final step, the dust cap installed.

View attachment 275886

Just realized I don't have a pic of my relay harness or other hardware. I'll grab some over the weekend and add them in, if anyone wants any ideas of where to mount them.

Here is the projector completed, and ready to take out and aim.

View attachment 275887

View attachment 275888

View attachment 275889

High beams, with splitters to retain the halogen high beams as well.

View attachment 275892
I'm about to embark on getting this done and I have a couple of questions:

For this "Just realized I don't have a pic of my relay harness or other hardware. I'll grab some over the weekend and add them in, if anyone wants any ideas of where to mount them." Did you ever get a chance to take those pictures or have any advice on where to mount them?

Also, how did you do the splitters for the high beam?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m so glad I saw this. I literally have a set of the AlphaRex in my cart right now. Which series did you have, and what made your impressions low?
I had the Pro series. The built quality was good, although it was a tad weird having the lenses 'bubble' out, but that was needed for how they mounted the projectors. I used high quality LED's, and the light performance was piss poor. Honestly it was barely better than the stock halogen setup. If they've improved their setup since then (which I doubt, based on the price), it could be better now? I was using LED's that were made for projectors, I selected them specifically for that AlphaRex based off their recommendation.

I still haven't looked back and had any doubts or regrets about retrofitting real HID's. If money isn't an issue, and you want the looks AND the light performance, it is totally worth it. If you're not a DIY or have anyone to help, there are some places online that'll do the retrofit for you as well.

KidWgn

Certified Kid Hauler
Reaction score
I had the Pro series. The built quality was good, although it was a tad weird having the lenses 'bubble' out, but that was needed for how they mounted the projectors. I used high quality LED's, and the light performance was piss poor. Honestly it was barely better than the stock halogen setup. If they've improved their setup since then (which I doubt, based on the price), it could be better now? I was using LED's that were made for projectors, I selected them specifically for that AlphaRex based off their recommendation.

I still haven't looked back and had any doubts or regrets about retrofitting real HID's. If money isn't an issue, and you want the looks AND the light performance, it is totally worth it. If you're not a DIY or have anyone to help, there are some places online that'll do the retrofit for you as well.
The Pro series now has a V2. Tempted to buy a set and see if they're worth it. I use Diode Dynamics LED's exclusively, so emitter quality isn't an issue.

The Pro series does state they're meant for use with Halogen bulbs, and most LED's do not emit light in the same pattern as a halogen; the Diode Dynamics SL1 are specifically meant for this purpose.

The only reason I'm even looking into housings is because my driver's side adjustment screw decided to break, and now points down at the ground about 4-feet in front of the truck

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I'm even looking into housings is because my driver's side adjustment screw decided to break, and now points down at the ground about 4-feet in front of the truck
One of the biggest things about GMT900's that sucks are the headlights. One adjustment with severly limited capabilities. If it has to be an option for you, despite what other's expereiences are I've read on the forums here, I've actually had really good luck with the Amazon OEM knockoffs, in fact that is what I retrofitted for my bi-xenons and have been using since.

Might be worth trying the V2's out then, there are a lot of Facebook groups you might be able to find out some results for them on.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GMT900 Tahoe/Suburban headlights are the perfect headlight for a dual projector retrofit.

If I had a GMT900 Tahoo or Suburban I would without a doubt do a dual Bi-LED projector retrofit with some NHK Bi-LED projectors.

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GMT900 Tahoe/Suburban headlights are the perfect headlight for a dual projector retrofit.

If I had a GMT900 Tahoo or Suburban I would without a doubt do a dual Bi-LED projector retrofit with some NHK Bi-LED projectors.
I wouldn't say perfect. :Moon: They can fit, no doubt. I absolutely have zero regrets on my bi-xenon HID retrofit. But, the stock housings are very limited for adjustment for your fine tuning. You have to absolutely nail the projector alignment, and get the beam leveled 100% before you seal the lens back on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent