More than ever confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good posts. Let me throw in my $ since I own one of each, (We’ll, an Explorer anyway).

As for the Tahoe: it kills in mileage. I regularly get 22-24mpg on the highway (all-time high 34.9 for 20 mile average, don’t know how I did that!). It beats the explorer Ecoboost by a good 3-4mpg highway and 1-2mpg around town, in a vehicle that is 1000lbs heavier.

Infotainment: I HATE the Ford. GM is hands down better. I can have local radio stations mixed in with satellite and arranged any way I like. The Ford is totally stupid-I have to go to radio home, switch bands and then choose my preset... About 4-5 screen and/or button presses later. This is soooo 1980s! Ford, we are nearing the 2020’s, get with it! I drive a lot and this really is annoying and distracting. Or some say, “I can use the steering wheel controls and it’s only like 6 button presses...” Great...

Had minor problems and repairs on both—so reliability so far is a wash. Both are good.

Cargo floor-GM, this is stupid. Ford wins hands down. It has a well or folds flat. I got so tired of the Tahoe dumping stuff out the back when I opened the lift gate that I removed the third row and “storage area”. Problem solved—but I shouln’t have to do that. GM, you can do better.

Did I mention I like a V8? The Ecoboost V6 is a good motor—and a rocket ship! But these vehicles are so heavy you are in boost most of the time—see mileage above.

When I want to “drive”, I take the wife’s Explorer Sport. When I want to get somewhere, especially long distances, I take my Tahoe.

So both are good. There is no such thing as a perfect vehicle. See if you can live with both for longer than an hour, might uncover more deal breakers or makers.

Have fun!

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your Explorer? My friend has a 2016 explorer sport, and that thing is like a rocket, and it is pretty even tied racing him in my 09 Tahoe tuned 6.2 here at Mile high. I think his radio interface is a bit wierd, but I haven't really played with GM 15-18 systems. I really have only driven them a few times.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got so tired of the Tahoe dumping stuff out the back when I opened the lift gate that I removed the third row and “storage area”.

Cargo net.

My friend has a 2016 explorer sport, and that thing is like a rocket, and it is pretty even tied racing him in my 09 Tahoe tuned 6.2 here at Mile high.

The advantage of turbos at high altitude. Turbos under boost is like flushing the toilet as far as economy goes. If those V6s are around 300 horses naturally aspirated, a single turbo would be plenty for towing and maintaining speed on the highway. Two means they are small, or one is, adding complexity and reducing reliability and making it more expensive in the long run for everybody.

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
Cargo floor-GM, this is stupid. Ford wins hands down. It has a well or folds flat. I got so tired of the Tahoe dumping stuff out the back when I opened the lift gate that I removed the third row and “storage area”. Problem solved—but I shouln’t have to do that. GM, you can do better.

I guess that's the tradeoff of having a solid rear axle - less cargo space in the hatch and less headroom in the 3rd row. A tradeoff that's worth it IMO.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked the latest specs but when I did comparisons between all the '09s the competition often had more impressive towing numbers but in the real world GMs SUVs could carry more and tow more weight.

rumline

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good thread. I'm in a similar boat as the OP and have test driven both this past week. I agree with most of his assessments.

You like the Ford's motor cutting out every time you stop? Deal breaker for me.
The Auto Stop/Start can be disabled by unplugging the wire that powers the system. Looks downright trivial: https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/how-to-turn-off-a-s-s-system.36214/ Or if you get a tune you could remove it via software.

I'm sorry for being the disagreeable one here, and don't get me wrong, I love my Tahoe.... But IMO... The new expy looks WaY better than any of the new Denali or Escalades, especially on the interior. I know as members on here we are to shun the Ford's, but in the case of the Expedition, they did their homework and have an awesome SUV. I got to sit in one and it's much nicer and that big a** sunroof.. looks and is awesome.
I'll quibble with your disagreement. I really dislike the F150-ness of the Expedition dashboard. The huge and overemphasized hvac vents look ridiculous to me. They got the aesthetics backwards...the inside looks like a truck and the outside looks like a minivan. Some people say the new Expedition looks like the Explorer. I beg to differ; the Explorer actually looks cool. With that said the interior still manages to have a pulled-together feel.

The Denali interior looks more like a luxury vehicle, for the most part. IMHO it has too much of that brushed aluminum and the rubber around the knobs is pretty cheap looking.

Last edited:

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My .02?
I like start/stop technology. It seemed very responsive to me when braking and applying the go pedal.

Now, as to how much CO and other pollutants it will save? Who knows, but it's another step.

ncpepperman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thread. I'm in a similar boat as the OP and have test driven both this past week. I agree with most of his assessments.

The Auto Stop/Start can be disabled by unplugging the wire that powers the system. Looks downright trivial: https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/how-to-turn-off-a-s-s-system.36214/ Or if you get a tune you could remove it via software.

I'll quibble with your disagreement. I really dislike the F150-ness of the Expedition dashboard. The huge and overemphasized hvac vents look ridiculous to me. They got the aesthetics backwards...the inside looks like a truck and the outside looks like a minivan. Some people say the new Expedition looks like the Explorer. I beg to differ; the Explorer actually looks cool. With that said the interior still manages to have a pulled-together feel.

The Denali interior looks more like a luxury vehicle, for the most part. IMHO it has too much of that brushed aluminum and the rubber around the knobs is pretty cheap looking.

I must respectfully disagree in your assessment that the "rubber around the knobs" looks cheap. They're functional, feel good to the touch and don't clash with the dash. What would be your alternative?

LI Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The expedition is light years ahead of the Yukon/Tahoe/Esky. You're comparing a new gen model against and old one. I'm sure when the 2020 GM FS SUV's come out they will have caught up to the interior quality and drive quality of the new Expedition and Navigator

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345