More than ever confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpcortese

Reaction score
I had my heart set on either the 2018 Denali or RST. Well, a new vehicle has entered the fray and right now I'm totally confused as to what to do. Yesterday, my wife and I test drove both the new Ford Expedition Limited and the Denali. We had each for one hour and test drove both over the same streets and highway making sure we traveled the same exact course. We also took turns driving each vehicle. Afterwards we stopped at Starbucks to compare mental notes. Here are our observations. As far as comfort, we both thought the Expedition was more spacious and comfortable. She thought the seats in the Denali were too hard. The second and third row seats in the Expedition offered more leg room. She giggled trying to sit in the 3rd row of the Denali and thought that only little kids could sit in them. Not a real problem since they would be seldom used. As far as performance, on the highway and going up to 80 miles an hour we both thought that they were equally the same. This was also the case from a standing start. That was a surprise since the Expedition had a 6 cylinder twin turbo charged engine and the Denali had the 6.2 v8. Anyway there was no difference that we could tell. Horsepower and torque felt the same. BTW, the Denali requires Premium fuel while the Expedition requires Regular. Not a concern for either of us however. Also we both felt that the 10 speed tranny in both were great and acted with the same smoothness. From a road handling point of view, we both felt the Denali felt more truck like and the Expedition more car like, but that is just a feeling. We both felt bumps more in the Denali. Could be because of the different suspensions. The Expedition felt bigger in all respects and that made parking a little more difficult, especially for her. We didn't measure the two but the Expedition looked to be longer and wider, but they seemed close. I didn't like the rotary shifter in the Expedition and she didn't like the column shifter in the Denali so that was pretty much a wash. Either would be acceptable although the rotary knob would take some getting used to. As to pricing, both were in the same ballpark so one didn't favor the other. From a cargo standpoint she didn't like the platform in the Denali and thought that the Expedition would be easier for her to load and unload groceries and other stuff. The Expedition cargo area also looked flatter. From a availability point of view, the GMC dealer had 8 Denali's while the Ford dealer only had one Limited. So there seems to be more Denali's to choose from. The Ford dealer said that they could order one to my specs and have in about 3 months. In conclusion, both are good choices although there are pluses and minuses with both. We are in no hurry to do anything so we agreed to think about it for awhile longer. Hopes this helps.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems as if the Mrs. favors the Expedition just a tad more. Mine wanted the Tahoe, hence I'm here. Happy wife, happy life.

OP
OP
J

jpcortese

Reaction score
I forgot to mention in my post that we did not observe any buffeting or vibration in either the Expedition or Denali and we were both looking for it.

ncpepperman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A number of years ago, we went the Ford F 150 Super Crew route. After the exhaust manifold bolts rusted off and finding that Ford wouldn't cover the repairs under the emissions warranty,we decided to go with the "bullet proof" Toyotas for our next vehicles.

The brand new '11 Highlander Unlimited was in the shop more the first month than in my hands. After scouring this Forum and seeing many satisfied Tahoe and Denali owners with 100K 200 k plus on their vehicles and many of the same vehicles still on the road and in great shape, we bought an '18 Denali at the end of last year. So far so good and very satisfied. We know that the Denali has history and a track record, Ford and Toyota were out for us. Hopefully the GMC will serve us well in the years to come.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They’re both good vehicles, and I think you laid out many of the differences. Like someone else said GM has been making the Suburban/variants for a long time, around 85 years. There’s a lot of history behind these GM trucks. And people LOVE them.

Also one thing you did not mention is how much better the Denali looks than the Ford. In many cases styling is subjective, but not in this case, it’s a fact, or as close as you can get to a fact, lol. Even on the Ford forums people will tell you: The Denali looks so much better but....

For me looks are important for a vehicle, it makes me smile every day when I walk up to my vehicle and it just looks striking. Denalis and really all the GM variants (Tahoe/Suburban/Escalade) are all striking. Slap some nice wheels on them and they’re downright gorgeous.

And don’t get me started about how nice those GM V8’s sound...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry for being the disagreeable one here, and don't get me wrong, I love my Tahoe.... But IMO... The new expy looks WaY better than any of the new Denali or Escalades, especially on the interior. I know as members on here we are to shun the Ford's, but in the case of the Expedition, they did their homework and have an awesome SUV. I got to sit in one and it's much nicer and that big a** sunroof.. looks and is awesome. However, I'm not about to spend 80k on one, and I'm more than happy with my 09 LTZ, I'm not giving it up any time soon.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry for being the disagreeable one here, and don't get me wrong, I love my Tahoe.... But IMO... The new expy looks WaY better than any of the new Denali or Escalades, especially on the interior. I know as members on here we are to shun the Ford's, but in the case of the Expedition, they did their homework and have an awesome SUV. I got to sit in one and it's much nicer and that big a** sunroof.. looks and is awesome. However, I'm not about to spend 80k on one, and I'm more than happy with my 09 LTZ, I'm not giving it up any time soon.

Everyone has their own opinion, np. Just to clarify, do you think the Expy looks better than the GM's on the EXTERIOR? If yes, then I would say you're in the minority. The interior is kind of subjective, but imo the exterior is close to universal. Kind of like stating the fact that a Ferrari exterior looks better than a Mazda Miata, its pretty close to universally accepted. And that's what I believe to be true about the EXTERIOR styling of GM vs Ford.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the new Expy inside And out, and I agree with you, I am the minority here with my opinion. IMO I don't like the current 15-18 Tahoe's, Yukon's, or Escalade's. There are some that our members have and made look really good, but these are IMO not the best that GM has done. To add to my reasoning why I'd choose the Expy is the horror stories I keep reading on here, especially with the 15-16 Tahoe's, etc. I dunno, I'll skip this current generation And see what the 2020 brings and see how many issues the new expy has till then, since they are still too new to judge.
Sorry for the ramble, I love my Tahoe and am not being a Ford Boy here, justy opinions and not knocking anyone's vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz