McGaughy's drop, rear sits high and MCG's shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slammedchevy01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just recently got a 3/5 McGaughys w/o autoride on my 2003 Tahoe. I was curious, does it take a while for the back of these to settle??? Also, Im missing the spare tire so that should bring it down a little as well I assume. I also invested into the Mcgaughys shocks and they seem really bouncy!!! Prob should upgrade to bilsteins, what is everyone running for the rear? What about front? The front rides good even with stock shocks.
Pic for reference: IMAGE_120.jpg

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
Blizzard had Mcgaughy's and I remember watching his ride and it was really bouncy

get some Belltech street performance shocks or even Bilsteins as you said and that back will come down a little more and ride a whole lot better

just for a test.. take out the bottom bolt of the shock and see if the back comes down any.. if it does, your shocks are holding you up, if it doesn't your springs need to settle or you need to pick up some Belltech springs as well :)

oh and your hoe is looking really nice :)

OP
OP
S

Slammedchevy01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank ya sir! I will try taking out the bottom bolt. Ya I pm'd tony and he recommended the belltech street shocks.

Badluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have the same kit and no spare tire. Mine has yet to settle and I don't believe it will. I bought the belltechs for the front and will probably ditch the McG's and go with the street shocks in the rear.

Clean Tahoe btw.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
the mcgaughys rear 5 inch springs just sit high. Doesnt matter what shock you use the belltech 4 inch spring sits lower.

OP
OP
S

Slammedchevy01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooooooo I noticed the shocks are on upside down.....LMAO! Will this affect ride quality at all???????

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
trailblazer rear springs do it then you can bring the front down more lol.

OP
OP
S

Slammedchevy01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pssssssh the front doesnt need to come down any more!!!!! LOL Just need to level out the back haha. As far as shocks being on upside down......will that affect ride????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10