May have made a mistake.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it yourself, use the parking brake, and only jack up only 1 tire/side at a time. Take wheel off, unplug sensor, bottom bolt, top bolt.. Reverse procedure. Done..

Next side..

You could even use the jack provided by GM.

Its really that easy.

On my Avalanche, I was able to do it with the wheels still on. It was abit more difficult, but nothing bad.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
You have “Auto Level” suspension rather than “air suspension”.
Magna ride is completely different and often confused with the auto level or the standard suspension. Of the 3 available suspensions, the auto level is typically part of the towing package on our trucks, the main reason for that $600 option. The air shocks on the auto level suspension do a great job of preventing rear end sag when heavy items are loaded in the back of the vehicle or a trailer with a heavy tongue weight is towed. They also improves the handling and stability of the truck by stiffening the rear suspension when weight is added.
The air shocks can be replaced by standard shocks but why would you want to disable such a desirable feature?
Do not compare the air shocks to the very expensive magnaride shocks that will NOT work as a replacement. I suspect the cost given to you was for those shocks. The air compressor should only run when weight is added to the truck and should last a very long time, possibly the life of the vehicle. Replacement air shocks are available in several brands and are relatively affordable. They are also very easy to install with no special tools.

OP
OP
phottomatt

phottomatt

Reaction score
You have “Auto Level” suspension rather than “air suspension”.
Magna ride is completely different and often confused with the auto level or the standard suspension. Of the 3 available suspensions, the auto level is typically part of the towing package on our trucks, the main reason for that $600 option. The air shocks on the auto level suspension do a great job of preventing rear end sag when heavy items are loaded in the back of the vehicle or a trailer with a heavy tongue weight is towed. They also improves the handling and stability of the truck by stiffening the rear suspension when weight is added.
The air shocks can be replaced by standard shocks but why would you want to disable such a desirable feature?
Do not compare the air shocks to the very expensive magnaride shocks that will NOT work as a replacement. I suspect the cost given to you was for those shocks. The air compressor should only run when weight is added to the truck and should last a very long time, possibly the life of the vehicle. Replacement air shocks are available in several brands and are relatively affordable. They are also very easy to install with no special tools.
Good info, thank you. After a day of research I realized there was airshocks vs magnaride. After all that I got the part number for the airshocks from the dealer when they quoted me almost $900 each for airshocks and used that to find them on Rock Auto. They should be here in a day or so, hopefully the weather holds out till I can get them on.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken the Chevy Premier and the Yukon Denali both come standard with magneride, I had 4 Chevy LTZ’s and then Premier’s between 2015-2017 and they all had it as standard equipment.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those top bolts are a PITFA. I used a home made stubby wrench for the back side of the bolt and an impact on the front. Also trim or remove the fender liner. My PO trimmed the liners so I was a step ahead I guess.

OP
OP
phottomatt

phottomatt

Reaction score
Those top bolts are a PITFA. I used a home made stubby wrench for the back side of the bolt and an impact on the front. Also trim or remove the fender liner. My PO trimmed the liners so I was a step ahead I guess.
Are you talking about the front? I watched a video on those and they did look difficult. My rear air shocks arrived today, quick run to harbor freight and I'll have them in by the weekend.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For changing the shocks out you dont need a jack at all. Just leave the vehicle setting on the ground. I did them on my wifes denali laying on the floor in the garage. Didnt jack it up. Didnt remove/cut any fender liners. Seemed pretty easy if i remember correctly, but that was a while ago haaaa.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer wants $1800 for 2 airshocks, labor extra, I told them to stuff it LOL. Might do it myself, looks pretty easy.
It’s incredibly easy to do. To me the hardest part is getting the socket on the back of the upper shock mount but even that isn’t difficult. Check out a few videos on YouTube and don’t panic if the get a suspension dash light afterwards. There’s a connector that almost always comes unplugged. It just needs reconnecting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo