Buy or Don't Buy

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for rusty brake lines and rocker panels. Those are things that I missed when I bought my '05. I had one line blowout while driving and it wasn't fun.

Lizard944

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IF I understand right - when filling up it will have something occur that causes the gas pump to stop before the tank is full. Is that correct?
Yes, the charcoal vapor canister gets saturated with fuel from people "topping off" the tank. The repair is not bad. Wear eye protection because a lot of dirt will fall when removing. Canister is pricey. There are some hacks involving dremel it open and refill with fish aquarium charcoal pellets. Reseal. Look on youtube for vids. Also, replace vent valve solenoid while you're in there. They get plugged with dirt.

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
300K on our 05. Has been a pretty good truck but they do have lots of things that need to be fixed. Not necessarily expensive but water pumps go, gaskets leak, evap cylinders need replacing, etc. You can easily get to 200 with that motor as long as it is in decent shape.

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the charcoal vapor canister gets saturated with fuel from people "topping off" the tank. The repair is not bad. Wear eye protection because a lot of dirt will fall when removing. Canister is pricey. There are some hacks involving dremel it open and refill with fish aquarium charcoal pellets. Reseal. Look on youtube for vids. Also, replace vent valve solenoid while you're in there. They get plugged with dirt.
it's $20. If you think that's pricey...

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
It’s definitely more than $20 for the actual canister. The valve/solenoid is about $20. But if your canister needs replaced, more like $100