Buy or Don't Buy

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the price is right, score it! I love my 05 Denali. I bought mine in 2010 with 99k on it

That said, I had to get a trans rebuild at 175k and I've fought all the various evap system system issues, including the pellets from a worn out charcoal canister.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2000 4x4 Suburban that has given me few problems (there, I just jinxed myself). In it's 286K miles, it has had a few sensors fail, the window lift mechanisms have broken, and the rear crankshaft seal has leaked badly.

Mine was totaled by the insurance company due to hail damage. I replaced the hood, and you can hardly see any damage.

I say buy it.

Last edited:

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing an 05 Yukon XL SLT with just over 145,000 miles. It has lived in the south all of its life and is in great shape cosmetically.

What should I keep an eye out for in the guts?

My understanding is the 5.3 V8 is stout and the transmission is pretty good too. So this may have a lot of life left in it. What do y'all think?

View attachment 273044

View attachment 273045

View attachment 273046
My 2005 Z71 Tahoe has been a great vehicle with very few problems and no major engine problems. Still on original front brakes at over 175,000 miles. Replaced A/C compressor, front diff (due to my own stupidity), shocks, blower motor resistor, blend door AND the vapor canister, purge valve, purge solenoid, gas cap, etc., all of which I replaced myself except for the condenser and front diff. Some of the dash panel lights are out out making the DIC hard to read. Headliner needs replacing as does a rear window regulator. I still drive it more than my 2019 Z71, especially when going off road or pulling my boat or utility trailer.

When filling the tank, don’t try to squeeze more gas in when the pump cuts off. Quit filling when it cuts off. Overfilling can lead to the EVAP system problem of taking forever to fill the tank and requiring replacement of the EVAP parts listed above.

OP
OP
M

mdcaffee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update - the XL is mine!

Now contemplating a radio upgrade to get Apple Car Play & a backup camera. Let me know if you have any pointers. (I've found a few on youtube)

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your purchase!

For the radio, lots of folks here like Kenwood and Pioneer, but you can't go wrong with Sony, Alpine and others. All of there radios have Apple Car Play. Go to the Crutchfield web site and check out the available radios with the features that you are looking for, and compare prices.

Some folks here have installed rear view cameras, and they will chime in with their suggestions.

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it for at least 20-30 examples of slow acceleration through 2nd and 3rd gear. My transmission started getting confused only on light pedal acceleration at this time and then all of a sudden it started slipping in reverse and soon after would feel like it comes out of converter lock while cruising slight inclines on the highway. I have gotten quotes from a number of places who tell me they won't even bother trying servos and what not (which I already did to no avail) because it's a 4L60E and it needs a rebuild, end of discussion. Not the hardest transmission to rebuilt. Not the most expensive. But a reputable shop is going to charge me $2500 to do it (I have a 4x4) and the rear main seal. Every other shop I called wants $3K to $3500 and most will swap the transmission, not even rebuild it. The trans is the weak leak on these, unfortunately. If driven nicely and not relied on to tow all the time they'll go 200K but about that time they start to give up.

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update - the XL is mine!

Now contemplating a radio upgrade to get Apple Car Play & a backup camera. Let me know if you have any pointers. (I've found a few on youtube)

I have a Pioneer MVH-1400NEX. The only thing I don't like is the lack of a knob for volume, but otherwise it's got the Carplay and the backup camera option and I have an amp hooked up with some upgraded (although... oddly harsh for a silk dome tweeter) speakers. It doesn't have Android Auto, but I don't have an Android phone so I really don't give a shit about that.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Congratulations on the Yukon again! Glad you found the forum, even before my suggestion.

radio change and backup camera add isn’t bad. Did it in an afternoon. Hardest part was cheating it to bypass the park/drive lockout, and wiring it to automatically trigger the backup camera on shift into reverse

Denali_XL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update - the XL is mine!

Congrats! I have a 2005 Yukon XL Denali that I purchased used at around 150k miles. It did have the transmission rebuilt just before I got it. So I would just plan on that and set aside some $$. This is very typical and one of the weak points of these rigs. Also, just replaced the z55 autoride suspension which was $3k for OEM parts and installation. Yes, I could have went a cheaper route with aftermarket parts or frankensteined it with a conversion kit but I want to keep this for awhile and wanted everything back to as much stock as possible the way it was meant to be. And the exhaust system needed to be replaced which was about another $700. I went with a nice Magnaflow system and it sounds great.

Also, upgraded the head-unit w/ Apple CarPlay and a back up camera + XM radio. All in that was $700. Got the Sony XAVAX1000 model.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-6...-media-receiver-black/6283607.p?skuId=6283607

Here are some pics. 100% happy with it and totally recommend!IMG_5030.JPG IMG_5031.JPG View attachment 274057

Last edited:

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2000 4x4 Suburban that has given me few problems (there, I just jinxed myself).

Well, I did it! I jinxed myself. Two days after posting this, the heater hose fitting blew on my 2009 Tahoe (about 185K). Fortunately, I was on my way to the water place and realized the problem about 2 blocks from it. I stopped to see what was going on and let it cool for a minute, then drove to the water place and got 3 gallons of water. I filled the radiator until water started pouring out. I jammed a couple of 3/8" socket extensions into broken hose and fitting. I got more water, then drove it a mile to my nephew's repair shop and let him have it.

It was a simple fix, but I just had too much going on to do it myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh