Buy or Don't Buy

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdcaffee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing an 05 Yukon XL SLT with just over 145,000 miles. It has lived in the south all of its life and is in great shape cosmetically.

What should I keep an eye out for in the guts?

My understanding is the 5.3 V8 is stout and the transmission is pretty good too. So this may have a lot of life left in it. What do y'all think?

Yukon XL Reat Seat.jpg

Yukon XL Front Seat.jpg

Yukon XL.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Look for any exhaust manifold attaching bolts being broken, conditions of any fluid you can check, belts age and if the tensioners and idler are quiet, all dash controls work and rear a/c and heat works, brake feel and if you get pedal pulsations when doing a high speed slow down, leaking shocks, any maintenance and repair records you can get your hands on, steering wheel controls all working, electric rad fans working and no bearing noises, even tire wear and not cupped tread or uneven wear, steering wheel slop while driving, pull left or right, stops straight or pulls when braking, is brake fluid dark, do seat heaters work, leaks at front axles, leaks at front and rear diffs, leaks at trans and engine, age of tune components....etc.

Others here will chime in.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Make sure oil is clean and not frothy/milky. Make sure oil pressure is good (around 40 psi idling), drive it for a good while at all kinds of speeds, make sure it is t running hot or low on coolant. Check condition of front suspension, 150k-200k they are usually worn. Ball joints, pitman, idler etc

Last edited:

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing an 05 Yukon XL SLT with just over 145,000 miles. It has lived in the south all of its life and is in great shape cosmetically.

What should I keep an eye out for in the guts?

My understanding is the 5.3 V8 is stout and the transmission is pretty good too. So this may have a lot of life left in it. What do y'all think?

View attachment 273044

View attachment 273045

View attachment 273046

How much are they asking if you don’t mind me asking and is it a 4x4? It does look beautiful from the pictures.

OP
OP
M

mdcaffee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh, make sure you can put gas in it, common problem trying to fuel it up. Can be expensive if you aren’t doing repairs yourself.

IF I understand right - when filling up it will have something occur that causes the gas pump to stop before the tank is full. Is that correct?

OP
OP
M

mdcaffee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The transmission is definitely not a solid part of the vehicle, if it was not replaced with a very good rebuild already put the bucks aside. 4L60E’s were meant to move camaros lol

I appreciate this feedback - I've read that as well after doing some more research. I'll be sure to ask about it. If the motor is strong I'm down to replace the transmission - but if the motor is going to fade... I might think differently.

My hope is to get 3-5 years and 50,000 miles at least - from what I've read and been told by others such as yourself - that's easy to do. The guy who owns this is a mechanic - he says they have kept up with maintenance because they enjoy even the simple fixes. I'll be driving it later today and will be checking what you and others have mentioned.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Nice looking truck!

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
IF I understand right - when filling up it will have something occur that causes the gas pump to stop before the tank is full. Is that correct?
Yes, it will literally take you 45 minutes to fill the tank, cause you can just BARELY pull the pump handle and trickle it in, otherwise the pump will click off. It’s a problem with the EVAP system. It can be an easy fix, but can be more involved also. Mine was not real easy, and wouldve been relatively bog bucks if I had a shop fix it.

I got my 2005 several years ago with about 150k on it, it’s almost 200k now. Power train has been great, lots of little annoying issues, sensors, minor stuff really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14