Lug nut question, 2005 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having a hard time finding an answer to this one, so I'm hoping you guys can help.

One of my lug nuts came up missing last week. Since my stock ones were looking a little rough after 13 years and 160k miles, I thought I'd buy a new set. I got on Amazon and filtered by my car and bought a set. When they got here, they don't look the same. The new ones take a 3/4" wrench, but the old ones take a 7/8". The new ones are a smidge longer (maybe 1/4") and thinner.

I put one on, and it seems to fit OK. My question is, are these going to be ok? If the conical part that contacts the wheel surface is different, it's a really small difference. I'm not having much luck finding an exact replacement for the one I lost at all, and not much luck finding 7/8" and shaped like the stockers.

Here are comparison pics

Old:
old1.jpg old2.jpg
old3.jpg

New:
new1.jpg

new2.jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also note that the old ones are the type that have the chrome cover pressed on -- cheap. The new ones are solid and shouldn't come apart like the old ones sometimes do.

OP
OP
willinnashville

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also note that the old ones are the type that have the chrome cover pressed on -- cheap. The new ones are solid and shouldn't come apart like the old ones sometimes do.

I thought about that, actually. If they are the chrome covered ones, they're pressed on good enough that I can't see the split

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the split us right above the conical part. unlike some of the older chrome capped ones that were just pressed on at some point they started pressing and then rolling the bottom edge around a lip. once the cap comes off they can be a pain to get off sometimes with the stock lug wrench tools cause its too small then. so hence they made it harder for the caps to come off.

OP
OP
willinnashville

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the split us right above the conical part. unlike some of the older chrome capped ones that were just pressed on at some point they started pressing and then rolling the bottom edge around a lip. once the cap comes off they can be a pain to get off sometimes with the stock lug wrench tools cause its too small then. so hence they made it harder for the caps to come off.

That could very well be the case on my old ones.

Either way, if the new ones will work, I'll just make the switch since I already bought them anyway. Next time I'll be more careful to buy the right ones from the get go.

Thanks for the help fellas. It's much appreciated