LS3 IN 2008 YUKON DENALI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2008WHTDENALI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The L92 in my Yukon is on it's last leg. I want to go new crate motor, but I can't find any new L92's, only LS3's. My question is, what would be needed to go with the LS3? I know they are basically the same motor, but the LS3 doesn't have the VVT. Would I just need to get that tuned out and it would run fine with the L92 tune? I know I'll have to put my intake and oil pan on as well.

Thanks for any input.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
L92s are basically LS3s.
I'd be SO happy if I could afford a new LS3 / L99.
Ideally, your ecm & tcm should be tuned by a pro using both LS3 and L92 data to create an appropriate lovechild tune.
Part of the tune should consider that the LS3 will effectively be hauling an extra 1500lb for the rest of its life.

OP
OP

2008WHTDENALI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was thinking they were basically the same engine, so the physical part should be the same. The LS3 doesn't come with AFM or VVT that I'm aware of. I'm 100% sure it doesn't come with the VVT, which is what I was most concerned with. I reached out to Black Bear and they basically said they can delete the VVT and tweak the base tune for startup and then data log to fine tune it. I figured this would be a straight forward swap except for the tune, I just wanted some current real work answers. Most everything I found on the internet was swapping the ls3 for a 5.3 or 6.0.

WJBurken - You're correct on my truck. It's a 2008 Denali without AFM, but with VVT.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find ICL specs for the LS3 or L92 cams. Of course, the LS3 has more duration and considerably more lift. Just going off the LSA, the power band will be higher and you'll trade a little low end power for top end. I'd compare the ICLs and see if I could advance the cam a hair. How much advance will have to be determined by a pro, likely with software. An adjustable cam gear is about $60. You might even need a degreeing wheel kit.

Or throw a slightly looser stall in it since it needs an upgraded one, anyway.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The L92 in my Yukon is on it's last leg. I want to go new crate motor, but I can't find any new L92's, only LS3's. My question is, what would be needed to go with the LS3? I know they are basically the same motor, but the LS3 doesn't have the VVT. Would I just need to get that tuned out and it would run fine with the L92 tune? I know I'll have to put my intake and oil pan on as well.

Thanks for any input.
You'll also need an adapter for the cam sensor. They're widely available, and yes, you'll need to tune out the VVT. If I were in the market, I'd be looking long and hard at this one:

MWR Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been running an LS3 in my 2007 Avalanche since 2015, it replaced the original L76. I had multiple broken exhaust bolts on the 6L and was looking at pulling the heads to correct. At the same time I was dealing with minor leaks at the rear main seal and oil pan gasket. With around 125k on it at the time, I was also worried about AFM lifter failure. The labor and cost to address all the above made the LS3 swap a no-brainer. I sold my L76 for $1800 and the buyer/friend included a tune for the LS3. I went the LS3 route since I was able to "delete" AFM and VVT without having to pull a head bolt. I added a cam, converter and longtubes as well. I ended up with a brand new engine, and no AFM to worry about for not much more than what it would cost to address the issues I was having. I did blow the stock trans on the first drive (and twice more thereafter), but I've since addressed that as well.

I believe I have a word doc with all the parts I used if you have any specific questions. Off the top of my head I did need a 3-bolt cam gear, MAP adapter harness, I had to adapt the knock sensors, I used a Camaro water pump and tensioner, and needed to adapt a few accessories for belt routing. I did a ton of other maintenance while I was at it like motor mounts, etc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts