Lowering kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racerx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking to lower 2012 2” front and 3” rear.
I would like to use stock 17” wheels.
How much clearance issues should I expect with the front spindles?
Thanks in advance

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I’ll bump this for you. ;)

Sorry...not much help here as I opted to lift my rig. Hopefully someone with drop spindles here can help.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to lower 2012 2” front and 3” rear.
I would like to use stock 17” wheels.
How much clearance issues should I expect with the front spindles?
Thanks in advance

What clearance issues are you speaking of? Clearance between the spindle and wheel, between the wheel/tire and control arm(s)? Between the tire and fender or inner fender?

Kee Fuller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn’t have any issues with a 2 inch drop up front. I don’t think you even need spindles honestly

OP
OP
R

racerx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What clearance issues are you speaking of? Clearance between the spindle and wheel, between the wheel/tire and control arm(s)? Between the tire and fender or inner fender?

between the wheel and ball joint nut
Read of people having to grind the nut for clearance

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got belltech knuckles up front, I had to cut the non threaded part off the lower ball joint. Also had to manipulate all 4 inner fender liners to not rub over uneven surfaces like driveways.

those are 17” steelies if it wasn’t apparent.

9BA6E522-78E9-494E-97A4-60AC0251C95E.jpeg

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
between the wheel and ball joint nut
Read of people having to grind the nut for clearance

Ah. That's definitely a wheel diameter thing. If all it requires to run 17s is to cut the non-threaded part off the ball joint, as @Ilikemtb999 did, then that's nothing and harmless. I've seen on the 4WD that the stud of the upper ball joint has to be trimmed and a thinner nut used to clear the CV axle. Again- it's nothing and harmless.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For example I left the longer bolt in the event I wanted to go back to stock height, which means my 17” spare won’t fit up front.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah. That's definitely a wheel diameter thing. If all it requires to run 17s is to cut the non-threaded part off the ball joint, as @Ilikemtb999 did, then that's nothing and harmless. I've seen on the 4WD that the stud of the upper ball joint has to be trimmed and a thinner nut used to clear the CV axle. Again- it's nothing and harmless.
At least I’m pretty sure I didn’t cut any thread, but now that you mention the thinner nut then maybe I did. I’ll go and snap a picture in a minute

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least I’m pretty sure I didn’t cut any thread, but now that you mention the thinner nut then maybe I did. I’ll go and snap a picture in a minute

You said you cut the lower ball joint so I assumed that was to clear the 17" wheel since that's all that would possibly interfere with a long stud on a lower ball joint. The stud of the upper ball joint would interfere with the CV joint. Hell, maybe you trimmed both and don't remember? lol

I've only had 20s or larger on mine so I wouldn't know. But, this prompts me to check into it in case I ever have a flat in the front cuz my spare is a 17" steely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9