Lowering kit delete 05 yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

InspectahDEck

Reaction score
I'm in the process of replacing frontend suspension due to bad ball joints and tie rods. This yukon has a lowering kit on it, maybe 2 or 3 inch drop. I'm wanting to bring it back to stock. It doesn't ride smooth, i can feel every pebble. Not sure where to start or what parts to buy. Any help appreciated in advanced

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Is it 2wd or 4wd if it’s 2wd a set of stock coil springs and set of bilstein shocks should do the trick
Might need longer sway bar end links also

OP
OP
I

InspectahDEck

Reaction score
OK as a byproduct of replacing top and bottom control arms, sway bar link and tie rods, the front appears to be back to stock height. I don't think the shocks on the front were replaced when it was lowered as they are delphi, but I could be wrong. I was a bit concerned the moog sway bar link would be a different size but it was the same. Any concerns I should have with the front raised back to stock while the back is still low? Will post pics later.

Needs an alignment bad, front tires are visibly not vertical lol.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it 2wd or 4wd if it’s 2wd a set of stock coil springs and set of bilstein shocks should do the trick
Might need longer sway bar end links also

An '05 has front coil springs? Thought these were all torsion bar suspension up front. Sanity check?

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
An '05 has front coil springs? Thought these were all torsion bar suspension up front. Sanity check?
The 2wd used coil springs on some models and some had the torsion bars instead. I’ve seen it both ways I had a 04 gmc sierra 2wd that had the coil springs up front where my buddy’s 05 Silverado 2wd had torsion keys because I remember lifting hit truck 6” without a real lift because it diddnt have the 4wd to worry about IMG_5293.jpeg
OK as a byproduct of replacing top and bottom control arms, sway bar link and tie rods, the front appears to be back to stock height. I don't think the shocks on the front were replaced when it was lowered as they are delphi, but I could be wrong. I was a bit concerned the moog sway bar link would be a different size but it was the same. Any concerns I should have with the front raised back to stock while the back is still low? Will post pics later.

Needs an alignment bad, front tires are visibly not vertical lol.
And no you can leave the stock how it is and it won’t hurt anything

OP
OP
I

InspectahDEck

Reaction score
I have torsion bars up front. Regarding the rear, shocks also appear stock, am I looking at new coil springs only, or is there other components I should check that might be needed to restore stock rear height?

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2wd used coil springs on some models and some had the torsion bars instead. I’ve seen it both ways I had a 04 gmc sierra 2wd that had the coil springs up front where my buddy’s 05 Silverado 2wd had torsion keys because I remember lifting hit truck 6” without a real lift because it diddnt have the 4wd to worry about View attachment 424560

And no you can leave the stock how it is and it won’t hurt anything
My mind is blown. Sure enough RockAuto has lower control arms for coil spring front suspension in an 04 Sierra. Never seen a gmt800 with coils. Very neat.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The early GMT800 2wd trucks had front coils, at least my 99 Silverado does. I thought that was true for all 2wd 1500 trucks of this generation (except some Silverado SS). Isn't that also true of the early GMT800 SUVs? I thought at some point the SUVs switched to front torsion for all models. The L59 donor engine I swapped into the 99 was from an 04 Yukon XL and that one had front torsion bar in a 2wd configuration. I pulled the engine and thinking how the torsion bars kinda limit access to things like motor mounts, etc. But I'm not sure of the late 1500 GMT800 trucks.

And, of course, all the 2500HDs+ (and 1500 HDs) had front torsion bars, 2wd and 4x4. Same as the Suburban 2500s, maybe the Avalanche 2500s too? I'm not familiar with Avalanches. The 2500 Non-HDs 2wd also front coils.

I've never really figured out why some had front coils and some had torsion bars. My only guess is it had to do with GVWR or maybe to keep everything simpler from a manufacturing perspective?

OP
OP
I

InspectahDEck

Reaction score
OK I'm still looking to bring the front up to stock height. I noticed I am riding on the bump stock, is that normal?

1000006061.jpg1000005959.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo