Low oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well finally got my Tahoe back after my almost complete rebuild with a new crank and bearings all the way around. Pressure is good. Haven't driven it much but it's a little rough at idle. I've never had an engine rebuild before so I am not sure if this is common or not. Mechanic indicated it was and that it should go away after driving it for a bit.

Any input about this?

Thanks
I can’t think of any reason for that. Ask him why it’s doing that.

rbrt43

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, now it seems as though there is some sort of electrical issue and he thinks that's what is causing the rough idle from yesterday and today it just died and wouldn't even click when I turned the key

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got hosed on the initial purchase if oil pressure issues came up two weeks after. Someone new that was happening and unloaded the problem on you. Combined with a donkey of a mechanic, who probably didn't take the time to properly disassemble, clean and inspect the engine during this repair.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, now it seems as though there is some sort of electrical issue and he thinks that's what is causing the rough idle from yesterday and today it just died and wouldn't even click when I turned the key
I was thinking there’s no reason for a newly rebuilt engine to idle rough so he’s probably lying to you and just doesn’t want to deal with it. I hope he doesn’t charge you any more, I’m sure you’ve given him plenty. He did pull the engine snd completely go through it since he changed out the cam bearings correct? Did you get a detailed list of new parts he installed and charged you for?

rbrt43

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like you got hosed on the initial purchase if oil pressure issues came up two weeks after. Someone new that was happening and unloaded the problem on you. Combined with a donkey of a mechanic, who probably didn't take the time to properly disassemble, clean and inspect the engine during this repair.
This didn't happen two weeks after I purchased it. I bought it in April and this happened in September. During that time I put over 18K miles on it and added over 3K idle hours.

rbrt43

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was thinking there’s no reason for a newly rebuilt engine to idle rough so he’s probably lying to you and just doesn’t want to deal with it. I hope he doesn’t charge you any more, I’m sure you’ve given him plenty. He did pull the engine snd completely go through it since he changed out the cam bearings correct? Did you get a detailed list of new parts he installed and charged you for?
He pulled the engine and cleaned everything. I purchased the parts (crank, main bearings, rod bearings, and cam bearings, head gasket set) and he did the teardown and reassemble.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This didn't happen two weeks after I purchased it. I bought it in April and this happened in September. During that time I put over 18K miles on it and added over 3K idle hours.
I was going based off of your original post on this thread dated August 2??? There is mention of buying the rig two weeks prior to the oil issues??

Oh I see different users. Carry on...

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going based off of your original post on this thread dated August 2??? There is mention of buying the rig two weeks prior to the oil issues??

Oh I see different users. Carry on...
Lol I was lost by the 2 different Brandon’s- the OP Brandon1320 and then Brandon2489. So confusing here…:crazy:

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read through this thread and thought I would share my story. Back in early 2019 I decided to upgrade my camshaft on my 2002 Tahoe along with some other goodies (roller rockers, upgraded heads with new double valve springs, exhaust, new oil pump (the list goes on) and an updated BB tune). The Tahoe had about 220K miles on it. In the process I dropped the pan and replaced the o-ring and pickup tube. I absolutely loved the added HP/torque. Spring ahead 55K miles (Feb 2021) and I noticed my oil pressure dropped off to 20-25psi while at idle and around 40 psi while driving. Direct reading gauge indicated the same thing. Spent some time troubleshooting but not really getting anywhere - thought I was going to drop the pan again and maybe replace the oil pump. The engine was still running very strong. After another 4K miles, I was getting and intermittent knock sensor code. Of course I changed these out (AC Delco) along with the harness (not A/C delco) during the upgrade project. So now I'm thinking, I should have used a better harness. So, I started procuring parts (gaskets and such) to tear this thing back apart. Another couple thousand miles after riding it a bit hard, I noticed a very slight knock. Drove it back home for more troubleshooting. Sounded like lower end. Drove it to work the next morning and the knock was much louder and the oil pressure dropped to near zero at idle and 30 or so while driving. Big issue. Decided to get a new engine which I upgraded (she's currently around 400hp). Dropped it in, BB provided me an updated tune and man she runs great. Took the old engine apart, and sure enough I had two absolutely destroyed camshaft bearings. The crankshaft bearings and main bearings all look pristine. So, cause and affect, which was it. Was it the low oil pressure that caused the issue or the camshaft bearing that caused the oil pressure. I tend to lean toward the camshaft bearing. My only regret - I should have dropped a 6.0 in it.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Read through this thread and thought I would share my story. Back in early 2019 I decided to upgrade my camshaft on my 2002 Tahoe along with some other goodies (roller rockers, upgraded heads with new double valve springs, exhaust, new oil pump (the list goes on) and an updated BB tune). The Tahoe had about 220K miles on it. In the process I dropped the pan and replaced the o-ring and pickup tube. I absolutely loved the added HP/torque. Spring ahead 55K miles (Feb 2021) and I noticed my oil pressure dropped off to 20-25psi while at idle and around 40 psi while driving. Direct reading gauge indicated the same thing. Spent some time troubleshooting but not really getting anywhere - thought I was going to drop the pan again and maybe replace the oil pump. The engine was still running very strong. After another 4K miles, I was getting and intermittent knock sensor code. Of course I changed these out (AC Delco) along with the harness (not A/C delco) during the upgrade project. So now I'm thinking, I should have used a better harness. So, I started procuring parts (gaskets and such) to tear this thing back apart. Another couple thousand miles after riding it a bit hard, I noticed a very slight knock. Drove it back home for more troubleshooting. Sounded like lower end. Drove it to work the next morning and the knock was much louder and the oil pressure dropped to near zero at idle and 30 or so while driving. Big issue. Decided to get a new engine which I upgraded (she's currently around 400hp). Dropped it in, BB provided me an updated tune and man she runs great. Took the old engine apart, and sure enough I had two absolutely destroyed camshaft bearings. The crankshaft bearings and main bearings all look pristine. So, cause and affect, which was it. Was it the low oil pressure that caused the issue or the camshaft bearing that caused the oil pressure. I tend to lean toward the camshaft bearing. My only regret - I should have dropped a 6.0 in it.
That's what happened to my 1st 6.0, but it was only 1 cam cam bearing that seized. It didn't get bad enough to sound like a knock, sounded more like a lifter tap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz